Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#3996 by WayneDsr
Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:55 pm
I picked up a new Scout today. I connected it to a phone jack and it would not connect. All red on the keyboard.
If I unplug the original Scout from the phone jack, the new Scout connects. If I then connect the original scout it will not connect.

Here's my setup. My hub and original Scout are sitting next to each other. Both WALL jacks are connected to the ooma splitter to line 2. (dsl is on line one)
Phone jack in the other room is on line 2. Scout in that room will not connect unless I disconnect the scout that sits by the hub.
Once that one is connected the Scout by the hub will not connect.
Seems like it only likes one Scout at a time.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Wayne
#4064 by Bobby B
Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:25 pm
The Hub should support up to 4 scouts so your setup should work. Are you using a 2-line phone jack in your house?

Also, as a test, it'd be interesting to know if the two Scouts work OK without going through the wall. I'm not sure if you have this available, but do you have another duplex splitter you can try with (1M, 2F) that you could use to connect both Scouts and the Hub together without going through the wall?
#4066 by WayneDsr
Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:22 pm
Yes, I can connect both Scouts up at the hub with a splitter.

I have separate landline, when the hub goes down the landline is there for backup. Landline works in the other room without a Scout.

The Scout works in the other room IF I don't have the original Scout up and running first.

I have 2 lines in my house. I have a DSL splitter in the phone box, DSL goes to line one (to modem), Phone side of splitter goes to line 2 where all other phone wall jacks including where the hub WALL connect.

All phone jacks show polarity.

Very strange indeed.

Wayne
#4075 by WayneDsr
Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:43 pm
As an update:
If I have both Scouts connected, only the one by the hub (SCOUT 1) is blue. If I unplug the phone cable from Scout 1 WALL port, SCOUT 2 turns blue right away. When I plug the WALL back in to SCOUT 1, Scout 2 goes red again and SCOUT 1 goes back to blue.

If I unplug the POWER from the Scout 1, Scout 2 does not go blue and it won't until I unplug the phone cable from the WALL SCOUT 1.
It seems to me that Scout 1 is so close to the hub it "steals" all the power to connect to Scout 2.
I've checked the wiring for the other room and it goes straight to the phone box, only one pair is connected.

Wayne
#5022 by WayneDsr
Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:03 am
As an update:
I have rewired my other room and got rid of the old wiring.
Problem still exists.
First of all, I still have landline on the circuit, which may or may not have anything to do with my problem

I have a Scout next to my hub, the hub is connected to the wall using a splitter and the Scout is connected to the same splitter which is connected to the wall jack. The wall jack is on a separate line from the DSL line, they are separated at the telco phone box so that no DSL is on this line. (line 1 and 2 are split using a dsl/phone splitter.)

The second Scout in the second room will only work if the Scout next to the hub is disconnected. As soon as I reconnect the Scout next to the hub, the Scout in the other room goes red.

Almost like the Scout next to the hub steals the signal from the hub.

This is an old post, but I thought I may be able to pick your brains once again.

Wayne
#5024 by southsound
Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:18 am
Wayne,

What happens if you move both scouts to the distant room and use a splitter there? Do they both work, or do neither? This might lend some answers to your question about the one near the hub taking the power. Also, have you tried rebooting the hub with both scouts connected? There might be an addressing problem. I'm not sure how HPNA units receive their address - if it is like DHCP or what, but I think there is some possibility that it may be an addressing problem.

<<And why does your wife let you have TWO scouts???>>
#5025 by WayneDsr
Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:23 am
If I connect both Scouts in the other room on a splitter, only one will work at a time. When I connect a second Scout, the both go red.
Hub was rebooted.

If I connect both of them at the hub, both will work.

<<My wife doesn't know about the second Scout and won't until it actually works!>>

Wayne
#5085 by WayneDsr
Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:19 pm
I removed the split line which carries the landline side of the dls/phone splitter.
What this did to the second line was to remove all landline voltage from the circuit. Result:
Second Scout connects fine with the hub and original Scout. So the reason the second Scout wouldn't connect is because of the presence of the landline on the second line.
It must degrade the ooma signal over the length of wire to the other room.
I need the landline connected so for the time being I won't use the second Scout, unless someone can come up with an idea.

Thanks,
Wayne
#5086 by southsound
Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:49 pm
Wayne,

Could you run the landline signal on another pair in the same cable - or is that how you already had it? I wasn't quite sure. Also, I remember you said you rewired the room recently - is the old cable still in place and available for the landline? If the landline is for power outage backup or for another device, this might take care of the problem.
#5087 by WayneDsr
Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:00 pm
Yes, I have 3 extra pair and I could do that no problem at all.

But my original thought was, I wonder how many Scout problems here in the forums (noise and such) could be attributed to landline voltage?

Thanks for the input.

Wayne