Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#61083 by av8r
Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:15 am
I have ooma emailing me .mp3 files of the voice mails I receive. If they come to my hotmail or gmail account they arrive fine, attachment can be saved, listened to, etc. When they arrive in my exchange mailbox using Outlook 2010 Outlook tells me it cannot open one or more attachments and the emails do not show as having an attachment. I can send mp3 files to Exchange from any number of other accounts and within exchange without issue so I believe this to be a formatting issue within ooma's mail server that causes this issue. As part of my job I have managed a 20,000 mailbox Exchange system for 13 years (along with other, smaller Exchange systems) and have already spoken with friends of mine who work for Microsoft at the Redmond campus on the Exchange development team.

Does anyone have any ideas or similar stories? Can I ask to have the attached files encoded to another format to test?

Thanks
#61087 by midas
Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:53 am
Just setup my Telo yesterday and I was playing with the voicemail a little. I run my own Exchange server at home. Unfortunately I didn't actually try to open the attachment in Outook. But my Blackberry picks up my mail using POP3 and I was able to open it on the Blackberry. When I get home I'll see if I can test this with Outlook.
#61092 by ntoy
Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Hello,

Had our QA folks test this & it looks like it works fine for them. Did you try saving it locally to your pc?-And does it play?
#61096 by midas
Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:57 pm
I just tried a new voicemail message. Worked fine even opening from Outlook (2010). I'm using Exchange 2003 so don't know if that might be different on your end. Also tried it using Outlook 2003 and it worked too. The box with 2010 worked using iTunes while the 2003 box used WMP.
#61134 by av8r
Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:22 pm
ntoy wrote:Hello,

Had our QA folks test this & it looks like it works fine for them. Did you try saving it locally to your pc?-And does it play?


That's the problem. The ooma mails sent to my Exchange box do not have the attachment showing. When you open the mail Outlook complains that it cannot open one or more attachments. Weird.
#61135 by av8r
Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:23 pm
midas wrote:I just tried a new voicemail message. Worked fine even opening from Outlook (2010). I'm using Exchange 2003 so don't know if that might be different on your end. Also tried it using Outlook 2003 and it worked too. The box with 2010 worked using iTunes while the 2003 box used WMP.


I tried it with Exchange 03, 07 and 10...same issue each time.

Thanks for your help.
#61137 by bw1
Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:29 pm
I seem to remember reading about this in the past and it turned out that something (Exchange server or ISP or networking setup) was stripping the attachment off as part of its configuration.
#61149 by murphy
Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:30 am
Outlook and Outlook Express and Mail also have the ability, by default I think, to strip attachments from incoming emails.
#61152 by av8r
Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:43 am
bw1 wrote:I seem to remember reading about this in the past and it turned out that something (Exchange server or ISP or networking setup) was stripping the attachment off as part of its configuration.


You guys are missing something I posted....If I send the same attachments from hotmail, Gmail or any other account, they arrive fine. They're only not showing up when sent from ooma's servers. I suspect ooma is embedding the files rather than sending as attachments which is causing the issue.
#61153 by av8r
Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:44 am
murphy wrote:Outlook and Outlook Express and Mail also have the ability, by default I think, to strip attachments from incoming emails.


There is a default list of attachments that can be stripped and that list can be turned on or off as well as edited, but I have that functionality disabled through a GPO.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 6 guests