Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#61038 by xyz
Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:35 am
I just got an ooma hub and got it activated yesterday. The ooma hub was connected to DSL. It was ok for outgoing calls. However, for incoming calls, I couldn't hear any rings.
Was anything wrong with the set up? or what should I do to get this fixed?
Thanks for any comments.
#61047 by bw1
Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:18 am
Did you select “I would like to use the Ooma system with my current phone provider” or "I would like to use the Ooma system with my current landline" when you activated? In both cases be certain to plug your landline into the port labeled WALL on the back of the Ooma hub otherwise it will not go into service.

Most of us here recommend not integrating your landline, whether you're just testing the Ooma service and will eventually port your number or even if you want to keep your landline for a backup service. The reason is that all incoming calls and local outgoing and 911 calls will be through your landline service. Only long distance calls will be through the Ooma service. Also, you give up much of the included functionality like caller id and call waiting from Ooma.

Once your Ooma device (Hub or Telo) has been activated, the only way to change from an integrated landline to an Ooma supplied phone number is to call customer service.
#61053 by xyz
Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:53 am
Thanks for the reply!
Yes, I did plug the landline to the port labeled "wall".
I just realized that there were a lot of complains about the integrated mode. Anyway, I will call the customer service to do the change.
#61055 by ntoy
Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:56 am
Hello,

Currently, your hub is online, but not detecting your landline. If you take the phone line & plug it directly to a phone, do you hear your landline dialtone?-this is what the hub's wall port would be looking for.

If you want to change to one of our numbers, please contact our support folks to make the switch.
#61084 by ntoy
Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:19 am
Hmmm, strange - the log still shows that your hub is not detecting an active landline. The Ooma tab on your hub is blue? When you receive an incoming call, does line 1 light up? Any firewall enabled on your modem and router?
#61095 by xyz
Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:43 pm
If I connect all the lines as suggested in the manual, and then turn on ooma hub, modem and wireless router in sequence, I can not access the internet and the ooma tab is red and blinking.
However, if I remove the line plugged in the port "wall", and do the same thing as above, and then plug in the line back to the port "wall", the ooma tab will be blue and I can access the internet as well.
I can make outgoing calls. The only problem is that I can't hear the ring for the incoming calls. I can find the records of all the incoming calls, though.
By the way, how do I know if any firewalls are used for my modem or router? If yes, how to uninstall the firewalls?
Thanks!
#61097 by southsound
Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:06 pm
Are you using a DSL microfilter on the cable that runs from your home wiring to the ooma WALL port? You must use this filter or the ooma will take your DSL down - and that could be what is happening.

Also, let us know if your ooma unit is the original hub (white) or the newer Telo (black).
#61106 by xyz
Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:38 pm
I just asked the support person assigned me a new number. In this case, I don't need plug the line to the port "wall". However, I still can't hear the rings for incoming calls.
By the way, it is the original ooma hub.
Thanks!
#61118 by bw1
Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:59 pm
You can't hear the phone ring for calls on the new Ooma phone number?

Is the ringer off on the phone that's connected to the phone port of the Ooma Hub?

Are the calls going right to voicemail?