Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#60886 by ray210
Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:55 pm
I'm helping my parents port their number from Verizon (where they have FiOS internet service and voice service over FiOS - no television service anymore) to Ooma. I did the same thing successfully last year.

Unfortunately, Ooma says that my parents' port request was rejected, primarily because Verzion is saying that its voice service is over a fiber line (true) and my parents need to first change to DSL or cable (I think the former, as I don't think Verizon offers cable in my parents' area) -- that is, "downgrade" to DSL.

I didn't have to do that for my own port to Ooma - I had the same 2-part bundle as my parents (FiOS internet and voice), and was able to port my number to Ooma, keep FiOS internet, and shut off FiOS voice. A customer rep at Ooma said that it's an issue of there being a different "carrier" being responsible for my parents' number, and that this carrier, unlike the carrier that handled my port, can't port a number assigned to a fiber line. Is a "carrier" a vendor Ooma uses to port over numbers? That's the sense I got.

Does this make any sense? Will Verizon let my parents convert just the voice portion of their service to DSL/copper while keeping FiOS internet service? Or will they have to do everything over copper (Verizon DSL for internet, and Verizon standard non-FiOS copper service), just to port over their number? I guess they could then change back to FiOS for internet service (maybe FiOS isn't any better that high-speed DSL at the speed they've opted for), but it's SUCH a hassle and can't possibly make sense, could it? Thanks very much in advance!
#60890 by ray210
Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:12 pm
Thanks, lbmofo. The strange thing is, the Ooma customer service representative I spoke with made it sound like this is standard operating procedure sometimes, depending on the "carrier," and by "carrier" I'm pretty sure he didn't mean Verizon and/or FiOS service. The Ooma rep made it sound like it was some limitation on Ooma's side of things, as though the "carrier" they'd selected to handle the port in my parents' area (zip code, whatever) couldn't handle ports of numbers currently assigned to fiber lines. So the "carrier" is an Ooma-retained vendor who handles number ports to Ooma?
#60912 by ray210
Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:51 pm
So now I find out that my parents' phone isn't accepting incoming calls, but does make outgoing calls. Verizon has no record of the phone number anymore (and of course can't tell me what happened to it [yeah, right]). It looks like it's porting over, and the ever-so-helpful assistance I got from the Ooma rep regarding "carriers" and "downgrading to DSL" is flat WRONG. Thanks, Ooma, for misinformed customer support. Ugh. :( I'm calling in to verify that this is the case - who knows what the Ooma rep will say (ten minutes 'til closing and it looks like everyone's abandoned the office).

Checked the porting status page, and it says the same thing it did before - there's just something wrong that makes your number unable to be ported over. Hasn't been updated with the new account number I provided as a result of my parents' elimination of FiOS television service - which I think was the issue all along. The old account number I originally provided is still there, as if nothing's changed. :(
#60914 by byersthja
Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:40 pm
I don't understand the issue Verizon is having with this. Telling you that you need to switch to DSL is BS.

Here' s what I did in December of 2009. I had the FiOS Triple Play of TV/Internet/Phone. I requested a switch to a TV/Internet Flex Double Play, and separated the phone service to just a basic, local calling plan, no longer part of the bundle. Once that was completed, I ported my number to Ooma. When the port completed, the voice portion of my Verizon account was closed. My TV/Internet service was never disrupted and I'm saving about $30 per month. I had read in other posts that you need to unbundle the voice service prior to initiating the port. The Verizon rep did not give me any problems when I requested this. The only caveat was to make sure the separation of the voice service goes through prior to initiating the port. I originally initiated the port too quickly and it was rejected due to the "pending" status of my account. Once I re initiated the port, it completed in about 3 weeks.

Best of luck getting this straightened out.
#60930 by ray210
Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:56 pm
It may be that the number's being ported. Verizon says they've disconnected FiOS Residential Service (checked "Residential Order Status") on July 27 -- the projected date Ooma gave for port completion. So either Verizon and/or Ooma have screwed us by letting our number go adrift because of some porting glitch, or the port is in process/complete and Ooma's just mistaken. I'm going to unplug the phone jack from my parents' Ooom Telo tomorrow morning and check whether incoming calls get picked up automatically by Telo. Fingers crossed.
#60943 by ray210
Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:20 am
Haven't gotten a chance to try out the unplugging of the phone line or the restart by unplugging the AC cord, but I'm on the line with an Ooma rep now, and I'm so surprised how passive they are. It takes so much footwork to deal with Verizon, and there's no sympathy on Ooma's part -- everything is just a mystery to them. I'm being advised to call Verizon and have my parents' number reestablised (i.e., have a copper voice line reestablished for the phone number, which could just be floating out there for anyone to take).

The reason my parents are able to make outgoing calls, and not incoming ones, the rep says, is because my internet service is still up and calls going out are made through Ooma and the internet, whereas incoming calls were using FiOS voice -- until Verizon disconnected the service (how they conjured up an order for such a disconnection, I have no idea), and that's why my parents can't accept incoming calls.

This is a mess. Can't recommend Ooma to any friends or family anymore. My switch might have been smooth, but this more than destroys any faith I had in the process. Maybe it's Verizon's fault, but the fact that Ooma isn't interested in providing substantive assistance (and seems generally clueless) is too disappointing -- as is the fact that no one at Ooma has picked-up on this thread and addressed my problem. I wonder how long they'll survive. :|
#60954 by southsound
Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:23 am
ray210 wrote: Haven't gotten a chance to try out the unplugging of the phone line or the restart by unplugging the AC cord. This is a mess. Can't recommend Ooma to any friends or family anymore. My switch might have been smooth, but this more than destroys any faith I had in the process. Maybe it's Verizon's fault, but the fact that Ooma isn't interested in providing substantive assistance (and seems generally clueless) is too disappointing -- as is the fact that no one at Ooma has picked-up on this thread and addressed my problem. I wonder how long they'll survive. :|

I wonder how long it will take you to do what was suggested - rebooting the ooma so it can pick up the new configuration from the ooma servers. This is a CRITICAL part of porting when someone has used the integrated landline (like your folks did). I think you will find that after you do this SIMPLE step, you will discover that your folks phone works. If you are some distance from their home and you cannot contact them, have a trusted neighbor go to their home and do what has been recommended. Then please let us know status.