Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#60871 by beachboui
Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:35 am
... that I have no recourse when I pay $40 for what other VoIP companies do for free, then, due to the incompetence of those at Ooma who do the number porting, have to incur another $30+ expense to keep my old VoIP company an additional month?

If I had not called Ooma to check on my number porting, my number might never have been ported. I could have waited weeks, months, or perhaps years. Is this my initiation into what will prove to be an inferior service?

The confirmation email said all was in order and number porting would proceed. Wonderful. Give them time to do their thing. But, when I logged in and checked number porting, there is a message stating that more info is required. Well, it wasn't. Ooma had what they needed. It seems the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing over there. At any rate, I have lost weeks of Ooma service, weeks of the Premier test drive, and will have to pay Vonage another $30 to keep my number active until the clowns at Ooma do something right. Thanks, Ooma.

Is this slander? Not if it's true, and it is. Am I pissed? You bet!
#60874 by nn5i
Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:01 am
Actually it's slander. Slander is any speech that holds another up to hatred, ridicule or contempt. Slanders can be true or false. If they're true, and you can prove them, there's no recovery in court, is all. This one has the ring of truth.

Come to think, it isn't speech -- it's writing, so the applicable word is libel. But all the other comments still apply.

Me, I think you got a bum deal.
#60906 by bw1
Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:20 pm
Why is it...

that you want to switch when you think the company is so incompetent?

Most have had good results porting, some in as few as 10 days. Others, not so much.
#61079 by beachboui
Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:51 am
My hope is that the rest of the company is not as incompetent as the Filipino office that handles the number porting. But, I bought this Telo unit at Costco. If the VoIP service is as crappy as the number porting process has been, it will certainly be going back. I initiated number porting back 07/08/2010, and they're saying it will be completed on Aug 12. But, if I hadn't called them, it would have never been done.

Now, I'm in a quandary. I am in a 3O Day Money Back Guarantee period with Vonage (to hold my number). The 30 days expires on Aug 7th. My number won't be ported till Aug. 12th. So, not only will I have to keep Vonage beyond the 30 day MBG period, but I will also have to pay for a month of service AND a f*%@#king $40 disconnection fee.
#61085 by southsound
Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:23 am
beachboui wrote:My hope is that the rest of the company is not as incompetent as the Filipino office that handles the number porting. But, I bought this Telo unit at Costco. If the VoIP service is as crappy as the number porting process has been, it will certainly be going back. I initiated number porting back 07/08/2010, and they're saying it will be completed on Aug 12. But, if I hadn't called them, it would have never been done.

Now, I'm in a quandary. I am in a 3O Day Money Back Guarantee period with Vonage (to hold my number). The 30 days expires on Aug 7th. My number won't be ported till Aug. 12th. So, not only will I have to keep Vonage beyond the 30 day MBG period, but I will also have to pay for a month of service AND a f*%@#king $40 disconnection fee.

I can almost guarantee that you will not be happy with ooma - and it has little to do with their product or service. Your expectations are the problem. You call the number porting process crappy and expect the VoIP service to be the same. Why not save yourself the hassle of paying $40 (not refundable) and porting the number only to have it ported to someone else?

Have you not been able to test ooma's quality so far? How has the service been? Of course, if you chose to use your old number during the porting process (what is called "landline integration") you will not know how well ooma works until your number ports. If you did set things up this way, call support and have them give you an ooma number instead. This way you can test both incoming and outgoing features while the system is still in the Premier trial period. Yes, I know customer service is in Manila but I've had no problem with the support folks - if you or they have trouble understanding, just ask for another support agent or call back. If you are like me, you will be pleasantly surprised at how good the system works. I've had both the hub/scout (original) system and added the Telo when it was introduced. I liked it so well I retired the hub several months ago. I don't work for ooma but I love their product - I think you will too if you give them a chance.