Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#60766 by erics
Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:12 am
]Setup: Modem<->Ooma Telo<->Router (Airport Extreme).

I have the Ooma's DHCP setting at one ip address, yet the Airport Extreme router selects an address for itself outside of this range (even after power cycling). I believe that I must solve this in order to effectively port forward (see attached screen shots).

Appreciate any help. Thanks, Eric.

NOTE: System is otherwise working just fine
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-07-27 at Jul 27 7.07.42 AM.png
Screen shot 2010-07-27 at Jul 27 7.07.42 AM.png (69.98 KiB) Viewed 4976 times
Screen shot 2010-07-27 at Jul 27 7.07.04 AM.png
Screen shot 2010-07-27 at Jul 27 7.07.04 AM.png (87.53 KiB) Viewed 4976 times
#60778 by sfhub
Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:42 am
erics wrote:]Setup: Modem<->Ooma Telo<->Router (Airport Extreme).

I have the Ooma's DHCP setting at one ip address, yet the Airport Extreme router selects an address for itself outside of this range (even after power cycling). I believe that I must solve this in order to effectively port forward (see attached screen shots).

Appreciate any help. Thanks, Eric.

Just give your Airport router a static IP.
#60783 by erics
Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:39 am
All - Below screen shots show that the Ooma has 2 IP Adresses:

a) 1st screen shot shows Ooma setup screen accessed when typing " http://172.27.36.1/ " into my browser

b) 2nd " " " " " " " " " " http://172.27.35.1/ " " "

So, in my case, 2 addresses are available, and my router is being assigned an address based on the 172.27.36.x domain (not the "35" domain that would be indicated by the Ooma's DHCP table). Additionally, this address is seen by the Ooma as "not on the home subnet" (this message appears when I type the Airport's address into the Ooma DMZ space).

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Eric
Attachments
36_1.jpg
36_1.jpg (45.3 KiB) Viewed 4954 times
35_1.jpg
35_1.jpg (43.98 KiB) Viewed 4954 times
#60803 by nn5i
Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:22 pm
Your subnet mask is 255.255.255.255 -- that means no two IPs are on the same subnet. Try changing to 255.255.0.0 and perhaps it wil work. Perhaps not, also -- but it's worth a shot.
#60824 by erics
Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:21 pm
Thanks all for the replies.

I cannot change Airport subnet under the current circumstances; also, internet connection is automatic insofar as Airport is assigned the role to connect via PPoE and from there ip/subnet/router assignment is out of this user's control.

Which makes me wonder...

What if I were to assign PPoE responsibility solely to the Ooma (this is a DSL connection, Ooma sits behind modem), and have the Airport connect to the Ooma via Ethernet? I have not updated settings in this manner but, as opposed to the Airport screen shown in my original post (with current addresses/255.255.255.2555 submask) this method would allow me to manually assign the ip/subnet/router under the "TCP/IP" settings (new options would be enabled under TCP/IP screen that are currently unavailable).

Can the Ooma effectively handle the PPoE connection (again, now set at automatic), leaving the Airport Extreme, which sits behind the Ooma, to connect via ethernet?

As it is getting a little late, I will ponder this before attempting; appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks, Eric.
#60836 by murphy
Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:10 am
Usually PPPOE credentials are entered into the DSL modem.
However since Ooma is directly behind the DSL modem you can enter the credentials there and set the router for dynamic DHCP.
#60848 by sfhub
Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:50 am
erics wrote:Thanks all for the replies.

I cannot change Airport subnet under the current circumstances; also, internet connection is automatic insofar as Airport is assigned the role to connect via PPoE and from there ip/subnet/router assignment is out of this user's control.

Which makes me wonder...

What if I were to assign PPoE responsibility solely to the Ooma (this is a DSL connection, Ooma sits behind modem), and have the Airport connect to the Ooma via Ethernet? I have not updated settings in this manner but, as opposed to the Airport screen shown in my original post (with current addresses/255.255.255.2555 submask) this method would allow me to manually assign the ip/subnet/router under the "TCP/IP" settings (new options would be enabled under TCP/IP screen that are currently unavailable).

Can the Ooma effectively handle the PPoE connection (again, now set at automatic), leaving the Airport Extreme, which sits behind the Ooma, to connect via ethernet?

As it is getting a little late, I will ponder this before attempting; appreciate any suggestions.

I think Apple has dumbed everything down so much as to be confusing.

I know the Apple manual seem to imply differently, but the Airport WAN connection is always connected by "ethernet".

The question is whether the IP address information (and possible authentication) is done via PPPoE, DHCP, or manual/static assignment.

It appears from what you have wrote, you still have the Airport configured to use PPPoE to get the IP address for the Airport Extreme WAN port. Since you have DSL Modem->Ooma->Router/Airport this doesn't make sense. Only the device connected directly to the DSL Modem should be using PPPoE. Your Airport should be configured to use either DHCP or Manual/Static IP.

Most routers give you a choice for provisioning the WAN connection info. The WAN connection is assumed to be ethernet and your choices become PPPoE, DHCP, manual/static IP.

I think Apple dumbs it down and calls these options DSL, Cable, and Ethernet, choosing to name these options by the type of service, rather than by the actual protocol being used. Where it gets confusing is Ethernet is not a method for provisioning, but rather the base level signaling common to all provisioning techniques.

So basically, with Airport behind the Ooma, you should choose either Cable or Ethernet, not DSL.

It is not surprising your netmask is 255.255.255.255 if you choose DSL/PPPoE for the Airport Extreme router as PPPoE (as its name implies) only handles Point-to-Point connections which by definition have no subnet.
#60860 by erics
Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:31 am
Appreciate the replies. Will soon switch Ooma to PPPoE, and Airport Express to "Ethernet".

Sfhub - For what it is worth, the Apple Router provides the following hierarchy of choices for internet access:

1) PPPoE or Ethernet

2) If Ethernet is chosen, one can then choose "Configure IPV4 'Manually' or via 'DHCP'.

I will choose Ethernet/Manual, and enter the 127.27.35.1 / 255.255.255.0 / 172.27.35.10 for IP / Subnet / Router on the Airport Extreme.

That having been said, my question of the Ooma is, why is it currently handing out an address of 127.27.36.1? Why not the "35" node per its status/DHCP page? And why can the Ooma setup page be accessed by 2 IP addresses ( .../.../35.1 and .../.../36.1)?

Regards, Eric