Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#60394 by BlueiPhone
Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:04 am
This last week I tried using the Apple App on my Apple iPhone 4. I am trying to lower my minutes used with AT&T and use the 250 free minutes. :)

I am a Driving School instructor and call each of my students before I pick them up. I used the Apple App on my iPhone.

The problem is that when I call them, they see my home phone number on their Caller ID which is not what I want. I want them to see my Cell number on their caller ID. Before I realized what what going on many parents and students were calling my home and my wife was getting very upset. This on top that CWCID does not work on my home handset makes it worse. :cry:

Is there a way to correct this? If there is a future fix, will we see it soon??? :?:

Thank you

BlueiPhone
#60397 by DTMF
Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:01 am
The iphone app is tied to your Ooma account (home phone). When it can eventually receive calls, the calls will need to ring on that Ooma account phone number. Since Ooma allows use of a Google Voice number on your account as your outbound Caller ID, a workaround might be to get a Google Voice number, set it as outbound Caller ID and have incoming calls to GVoice ring your cell phone and not the Ooma number.

The drawback to the workaround is that calls from your home phone (ooma device) will also use the Google Voice number as their Caller ID.
#60402 by bw1
Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:05 am
The iPhone app can only show the primary phone number tied to your Ooma account currently, as far as I know. I don't know if that will change but it seems likely that you could display other Ooma phone numbers or a GV number.

I'm not sure if they would allow you to display another number like your cell phone number that's not somehow tied to your account.

I'm not sure how you expected it to show your cell phone number when you call out with the app, since it's not tied to AT&T other than using 3G or wifi data.

From the iPhone App FAQ:

Q: What caller-ID shows up when I make phone calls using Ooma Mobile?
A: The other party will see the main phone number of your Ooma account.
#60478 by BlueiPhone
Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:08 am
This is from Bobby B @ OOMA:

6. Option to show the calling iPhone phone number to the caller? (Currently the home phone number is passed to the caller)
This is planned for a future release.

I put this post up to pass on info... and help users understand what the caller is seeing... :)

BlueiPhone