Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#60244 by bmccollum
Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:04 am
Just got our home # ported to Ooma Telo yesterday. Thus far, we're very pleased. A few questions though within various topic areas...

Currently we're within the free 60-day trial of the Premier plan, but we'll let it drop to the Basic plan once the remainder of the trial period is up. With this is mind, all of my questions are related to functionality / features / usage with the BASIC plan in mind for the long-term...

(1) Can you setup a custom outgoing msg. for the Ooma-provided voice mail or do you just have to use the Ooma-provided generic outgoing msg. that states that "the person at this phone # isn't available..."?

(2) How do you call remotely from elsewhere (like from my office or my cell phone) & retrieve voicemail? I think you call your home #, & press * once the voicemail's outgoing msg. begins, but I haven't read anything about whether or not there's a passcode you can program that you have to enter after pressing the * key.

(3) Is voicemail retrieval via the Ooma site an available feature in the BASIC plan?

(4) Anyone have any idea if the Ooma-provided voicemail works o.k. with a VTech brand DS3231 Dect 6.0 cordless phone system to where I'll pick-up a cordless handset in the house & see on the LCD that we have a voicemail? I was going to continue using the cordless phone system's answering machine but we of course can't access it remotely now due to the Ooma Telo not accepting incoming touchtones.

(5) My wireless router (Buffalo Tech brand) has some Quality of Service settings in the page I use to access all of the other router settings. I don't seem to be able to specify high/medium/low priority settings for a specific MAC Address of a device, which would've been ideal for the Ooma Telo. However, I can indicate high/medium/low setting preferences for Ethernet Ports 1-2-3-4 on the router. I have an 8-port Ethernet switch/hub connected to one of the available 4 ports on the router, and the Ooma Telo is then connected to one of the ports on the hub/switch. With this in mind, let's say the Ethernet hub/switch is connected to Ethernet port # 2 on the wireless router. If I set the priority to "high" in my router settings for Ethernet Port # 2, is that setting going to correctly determine that I want my Ooma Telo to have higher priority bandwidth-wise than other devices also connected to that 8-port switch/hub, or is that high priority setting likely to be negligible since it's more than a single device connected to Ethernet Port # 2 via the hub/switch (i.e. Wii gaming system, BluRay player, DirecTV DVR, & Ooma Telo are all connected to the 8-port hub/switch that's connected from wireless router Ethernet Port # 2)?

(6) If I determine that our VTech DS6321 cordless phones in the house DO indicate on the LCD that Ooma has recorded a voicemail, at that point, how do I, from the VTech cordless phone handset I'm holding, retrieve that voicemail? Or do I have to go to the Ooma Telo itself and retrieve the voicemail directly via that device?

(7) I'm having difficulty figuring out exactly what features are included within the BASIC plan. My best understanding is that call-waiting & voice mail that can be retrieved via Ooma's site or maybe otherwise are all that's included. Am I missing something?

I think those are the only questions I have right now. Thanks in advance to anyone that ends up tackling / answering these questions!
#60246 by DTMF
Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:48 am
but we'll let it drop to the Basic plan once the remainder of the trial period is up.
The passiveness of this statement is troubling. If you do nothing, you'll be opting in to Premier. You have to opt out of the automatic upgrade of your account to avoid being subscribed to Premier.
#60269 by bw1
Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:07 pm
bmccollum wrote:Just got our home # ported to Ooma Telo yesterday. Thus far, we're very pleased. A few questions though within various topic areas...

Currently we're within the free 60-day trial of the Premier plan, but we'll let it drop to the Basic plan once the remainder of the trial period is up. With this is mind, all of my questions are related to functionality / features / usage with the BASIC plan in mind for the long-term...

(1) Can you setup a custom outgoing msg. for the Ooma-provided voice mail or do you just have to use the Ooma-provided generic outgoing msg. that states that "the person at this phone # isn't available..."?

Yes, just enter the voicemail menu and press 2, 4, 1. See https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeba ... menu-guide

(2) How do you call remotely from elsewhere (like from my office or my cell phone) & retrieve voicemail? I think you call your home #, & press * once the voicemail's outgoing msg. begins, but I haven't read anything about whether or not there's a passcode you can program that you have to enter after pressing the * key.

Yes, you can call your home number and press *. See Checking Messages Remotely on this page - https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeba ... -voicemail

If you were to subscribe to Premier, you could send anonymous callers to voicemail and then dial *67 and your home number and you'll go right to voicemail without any chance of someone picking up the call.

(3) Is voicemail retrieval via the Ooma site an available feature in the BASIC plan?

Yes, you can play your voicemails in http://my.ooma.com, you can also delete, mark as heard/unheard, download, and move them to other folders.

(4) Anyone have any idea if the Ooma-provided voicemail works o.k. with a VTech brand DS3231 Dect 6.0 cordless phone system to where I'll pick-up a cordless handset in the house & see on the LCD that we have a voicemail? I was going to continue using the cordless phone system's answering machine but we of course can't access it remotely now due to the Ooma Telo not accepting incoming touchtones.

Most modern cordless phone systems will display that you have voicemail. It works with my Panasonic. I can also program the Panasonic with my phone number for quick access to voicemail through the handsets. Of course, it won't display the number of voicemails that you have.

(5) My wireless router (Buffalo Tech brand) has some Quality of Service settings in the page I use to access all of the other router settings. I don't seem to be able to specify high/medium/low priority settings for a specific MAC Address of a device, which would've been ideal for the Ooma Telo. However, I can indicate high/medium/low setting preferences for Ethernet Ports 1-2-3-4 on the router. I have an 8-port Ethernet switch/hub connected to one of the available 4 ports on the router, and the Ooma Telo is then connected to one of the ports on the hub/switch. With this in mind, let's say the Ethernet hub/switch is connected to Ethernet port # 2 on the wireless router. If I set the priority to "high" in my router settings for Ethernet Port # 2, is that setting going to correctly determine that I want my Ooma Telo to have higher priority bandwidth-wise than other devices also connected to that 8-port switch/hub, or is that high priority setting likely to be negligible since it's more than a single device connected to Ethernet Port # 2 via the hub/switch (i.e. Wii gaming system, BluRay player, DirecTV DVR, & Ooma Telo are all connected to the 8-port hub/switch that's connected from wireless router Ethernet Port # 2)?

I can't answer this. I have a Linksys WRT54GL with Tomato firmware and it works ok with QOS settings for my Telo. I always had my Hub before the router and the Hub's QOS worked really well.

(6) If I determine that our VTech DS6321 cordless phones in the house DO indicate on the LCD that Ooma has recorded a voicemail, at that point, how do I, from the VTech cordless phone handset I'm holding, retrieve that voicemail? Or do I have to go to the Ooma Telo itself and retrieve the voicemail directly via that device?

See my answer to #4. Don't know if it will work with the VTech.

(7) I'm having difficulty figuring out exactly what features are included within the BASIC plan. My best understanding is that call-waiting & voice mail that can be retrieved via Ooma's site or maybe otherwise are all that's included. Am I missing something?

What's included with the Basic plan is listed here up to the section on Premier - https://www.ooma.com/products/ooma-telo/features

I think those are the only questions I have right now. Thanks in advance to anyone that ends up tackling / answering these questions!

See my answers in red above.

I think DTMF is just warning you that you have to go into my.ooma and select to opt-out on the Account - Services page.