Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#60168 by clp98
Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:15 am
I have core. The caller id works on the patio phone (only need phone number to show up, don't care about name) but not on in house phones or old att calleridbox. Just a blank screen on incoming call.

Is there competing technologies for caller id?
#60586 by clp98
Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:25 am
No techies here? I suspect the ooma doesnt put out enough/or proper juice to power several caller id's. But they ring fine.
#60589 by murphy
Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:29 am
Look at the bottom of all of your phone devices and write down the REN number for each.
Add them all together.
If the total is more than 5.0 you have too much of a load on the hub's phone port.
#60591 by southsound
Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:35 am
clp98 wrote:No techies here? I suspect the ooma doesnt put out enough/or proper juice to power several caller id's. But they ring fine.

I don't think it is the power issue. I have an old BellSouth standalone CID box and it shows an REN of 0.08 - that's 1/12 of the drain that the old Western Electric 2500 sets with a mechanical bell use (REN for that set is 1.0). The Telo and core have a ringing maximum of 5.0 REN. And the CID box actually receives it's information as data that is sent between the first and second rings so ringing current should not be a problem. There are two technologies for showing a number on a customer phone - one is used for CID and the other is used for Call Waiting Caller ID (CWCID). These signals adhere to telco standards so they should be universal. Note that central offices and some termination equipment use a different delivery system that not used on customer equipment.

You might try disconnecting the phones that don't show CID and then plug them in one at a time to see if it is a loading problem.
#60639 by nn5i
Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:42 am
Pure conjecture here --

Some CID display devices depend upon the CID information's being between the first and second rings. That is, they discard it if it isn't.

The Ooma -- well, my Telo anyway -- sends a perfectly conforming standard CID data stream between the first and second rings. However, the ringing signals themselves are somewhat nonstandard, as I discovered soon after my Telo arrived. Some of my equipment, as a result, counted the first ring (and each subsequent ring) as four or five rings, because the Telo puts out a ringing signal at about 4 Hz (I'm guessing from behavior, but haven't actually looked at it on an oscilloscope) instead of the 20-or-so Hz that Telco equipment provides. In consequence I had to make some software changes in a PC-controlled call-screening-and-directing system I designed and built that directs calls to different phones (or recorders) depending on the CID information.

So perhaps the somewhat nonstandard ring signal, rather than the CID signal, is hosing up your CID display stuff. You can test that theory, partially anyway, by temporarily connecting only that equipment directly to the Ooma and seeing whether it still misses the CID.