Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#60120 by mattwj2005
Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:39 am
Hey Guys,

I am a new Ooma customer and I am very happy. The quality has been great. It is much better than Vonage and the price is much better than Vonage too.

Anyways, my question is why does porting take so long? 3 to 4 weeks is much longer than regular cell phone porting.

Also, my mom is thinking about converting from Charter phone to Ooma. How hard is that to do? Is that the same process? Is it even possible?

Thanks,

Matt
#60135 by mattwj2005
Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:17 pm
How would that work? Do you contact Charter letting them know that you are porting away from them? I would assume not, but eventually they will need to get their equipment back.

Regards,

Matt
#60136 by bw1
Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:20 pm
You don't need to contact your existing carrier and don't cancel service until your number is ported or you'll lose it.

Once the number is ported, your service is usually canceled automatically. You would then need to return the equipment if you don't also have other services.

Make sure you don't lose your Internet connection when you port (like with DSL from AT&T).
#60673 by bw1
Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:47 pm
I have no idea if you would lose your cable Internet service if you ported the phone number away. I guess it depends on whether the account is tied to the phone number.