Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#60050 by ben dare
Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:46 pm
Hi all,
I figured I was reasonably intelligent until I tried to setup my home network and include my Ooma. Eveything was cool until I added it, that's where all went south, took a dump, crashed, etc, etc, etc. Don't get me wrong, I think Ooma is great and I"m probably the cause of my problem. First let me cover my network components; (1) cable modem, (1) Ooma, (1) Linksys wireless router, (2) wierless capable laptops, (1) wireless printer, (1) desktop with a NIC (network interface card). All work very well using cables, wirelessly is another story. Currently the connection scheme is as follows; modem -> Ooma -> router. I haven't tried modem -> router -> Ooma yet but I will as soon as I complete this support topic. If I have a successful venture, I'll repost and let all know how it turned out. Meanwhile, I'll check back for suggestions anyone may have. Thanks in advance to all for the help.

ben dare
#60051 by southsound
Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:58 pm
ben dare wrote:I haven't tried modem -> router -> Ooma yet but I will as soon as I complete this support topic. If I have a successful venture, I'll repost and let all know how it turned out. Meanwhile, I'll check back for suggestions anyone may have. Thanks in advance to all for the help.

ben dare

The configuration using the ooma after the router should work just fine. Depending on what you run on your network, you may need to set the router's QoS to give priority to the ooma. You didn't mention if you have the Telo (black) or the hub (white) but either will work well after the router. Remember that the router will feed the To Internet jack on the Telo and the Home Network jack will be empty. For now, plug a phone or cordless base into the PHONE jack and see how it works. If you have the Telo, it will need to download the latest firmware and that can take up to 30 minutes. Keep us informed as to your progress.

When it does work, I guess you could say, "Ben Dare, Done Dat." (Please forgive me - I could not help it!) :P

Welcome to ooma and to the forum!
#60066 by WayneDsr
Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:50 am
As a side note to Southsound's good information, if you are using a cordless phone with Ooma you might want to make sure you are using the newer Dect 6 phones and not the older cordless phones. The frequencies of the older phones are known to interfere with your routers wireless signal and will take it down.
If this is so, you may want to totally disconnect and turn off the cordless phones and use a wired phone, just for a test.

Wayne
#60070 by ben dare
Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:31 am
Hi all,
Thanks for the info. I do have the Ooma Telo (the black one) less hand set. Didn't even think of including that in the post (duh). Went with modem -> router-> Ooma. Things weren't real happy. Ooma kept flashing red so I went back to the original setup and all is good.

Southsound, you mentioned QoS and I have no idea what that is. My router is a Linksys model WRT54G2 wireless G broadband router. Haven't found anything in setup refering to that yet. But of course that doesn't mean it isn't there. Oh, great take on the "ben dare" thing. Ya know what's wierd? I was actually going to use "don dat" for my username. Go figure!

Wayne, thanks. All phones work fine, just getting my wireless network up and running again is my main issue. Wife is kind of upset since she hasn't been able to be in livingroom watch TV and surf Inet at same time. What's crazy is, it use to work. I messed up something somewhere and don't think Ooma is the problem. It's most likely my network settings.

Thanks all, catch ya later,

ben dare
#60074 by WayneDsr
Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:15 pm
ben dare wrote:Hi all,
Thanks for the info. I do have the Ooma Telo (the black one) less hand set. Didn't even think of including that in the post (duh). Went with modem -> router-> Ooma. Things weren't real happy. Ooma kept flashing red so I went back to the original setup and all is good.

Southsound, you mentioned QoS and I have no idea what that is. My router is a Linksys model WRT54G2 wireless G broadband router. Haven't found anything in setup refering to that yet. But of course that doesn't mean it isn't there. Oh, great take on the "ben dare" thing. Ya know what's wierd? I was actually going to use "don dat" for my username. Go figure!

Wayne, thanks. All phones work fine, just getting my wireless network up and running again is my main issue. Wife is kind of upset since she hasn't been able to be in livingroom watch TV and surf Inet at same time. What's crazy is, it use to work. I messed up something somewhere and don't think Ooma is the problem. It's most likely my network settings.

ben dare

Whenever you change a component on cable you must power cycle the cable modem. Ooma should work great behind the router, so my guess is the components all needed a power cycle after the change over.

Wayne
#60084 by tommies
Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:47 pm
ben dare wrote:All phones work fine, just getting my wireless network up and running again is my main issue. Wife is kind of upset since she hasn't been able to be in livingroom watch TV and surf Inet at same time. What's crazy is, it use to work. I messed up something somewhere and don't think Ooma is the problem. It's most likely my network settings.

ben dare

It's not your network setting, since it was working before ooma.

One thing is interference from 2.4Mhz and some 5.8MHz cordless phone WayneDsr had mentioned above. You can test it by just unplug the power cord to the base and remove the batteries of all hand sets.

It can be the MAC cloning of the telo that throws one of your wireless laptop off. Most of us users here has turned this off, and using the telo build-in MAC. You can do this in the telo setup pages. Temporary connect a pc/laptop into its HOME port with a network cable, and point the browser to http://setup.ooma.com or http://172.27.35.1