Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#59910 by jacque
Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:43 am
I have a Panasonic KC-TG9391 telephone with 2 lines. My Telo is plugged into the line 2 input jack and our regular landline into line 1 jack. Voice quality is very good on the Ooma line, but on the landline I'm getting a buzz in the background. The phone manual says if I use DSL I should put a filter between the base and the phone cord, but I don't use DSL, I have a Comcast cable connection.

Would a filter help anyway? If so, what kind? There seem to be a lot of options out there.
#60536 by tommies
Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:58 pm
1. Do you connect the phone(L2 jack) directly to the Telo PHONE port, or through the wiring in the wall jack?
2. Do you have land line integration? (require land line plugged into Telo WALL port and have no ooma number)
More detail of your phone & wiring will be helpful.

Actually, this is a trial & error, hopefully, some one will be able to pinpoint the problem at the end.
#60572 by southsound
Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:51 am
jacque wrote:I have a Panasonic KC-TG9391 telephone with 2 lines. My Telo is plugged into the line 2 input jack and our regular landline into line 1 jack. Voice quality is very good on the Ooma line, but on the landline I'm getting a buzz in the background. The phone manual says if I use DSL I should put a filter between the base and the phone cord, but I don't use DSL, I have a Comcast cable connection.

Would a filter help anyway? If so, what kind? There seem to be a lot of options out there.

The filter would probably not help. It is designed as a bandpass filter to pass voice frequencies to the phone line while preventing the phones from affecting the DSL signal. In your case, the buzz is in the voice range.

Try this - unplug the Telo from your phone without making any other changes - if the buzz is still there, it is a problem with your landline and has nothing to do with the Telo. If that is the case, then try connecting a standard corded phone (no extra bells or wistles that could amplify the problem noise) to the jack that now supplies landline dialtone to the Panny. Is the buzz still there? If so, move the phone out to the NIB (Network Interface Box) on the outside of your home. There will be two sides to that box - one for customer access (just a standard screw) and one for utility access (security screw). Open up the customer access side and you will find one or more little modular jacks. The first one serves dialtone to the house. Unplug the little cord and plug your standard phone in. Do you still hear the buzz? If so, the problem lies with the utility and you should be able to have them repair it for free. They own everything up to and including the little jack. If the problem is NOT there but is when you try the phone inside, the problem is with your wiring. Possibly a short that takes one of the wires to ground. Let us know what you find.