Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#59710 by Gearscout
Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:34 am
I did NOT have FAX Enabled set. Didn't even know it existed.

Not very intuitive, on the TELO you have to:

My Ooma ---> Preferences ---> Phone Numbers ---> double-click on the number ---> 'Enable Fax Mode' checkbox

I'll test this to see how it works. Just ordered my second line. I'm hoping I can designate that for Fax and leave the primary number optimized for voice.

I'll be happy to pay $10 a month for the Premier service if it makes the fax at least USABLE. My kids need it for their homework and the wife Always seems to require it. I was planning on getting Premium anyway because I'm really liking the Ooma Mobile App on my iPod Touch.
Last edited by Gearscout on Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
#59713 by ghostx
Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:19 am
Thanks for the responses everyone. I did not know there is a way to enable faxing on my.ooma, and for some reason I cannot find it even from Gearscout's instructions above. But I do use my ooma line for voice calls as well, so it might not be a good idea to turn it on anyway.

As for the scanning suggestion, the only reason I cannot do that is because my scanner is upstairs, and my desktop computer is downstairs so I've pretty much lacked having a scanner almost forever. If I need to scan something really badly I'll just use a free efax service to fax the documents to my email rather than lug my gigantic printer/scanner/faxer(AIO) downstairs where there's no room to plug it in anyway just to lug it upstairs after I'm done.

I have actually figured out how to get it to work so far with 2/2 tries of about 30 pages of faxes since I last posted here. I used on hook dial, and only when I heard the fax connect tone from the other end did I press the start button and start scanning my faxes. I hope this time I didn't just get lucky. It's a lot more annoying than just keying in the number, scanning all my documents and then press start to leave and let the fax machine send the stuff since I have to be in a hurry when scanning the pages while I'm already connected, but at least it works so far.
#59714 by focuspuller
Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:36 pm
I just remembered my early days on Vonage and trying to fax.

I used a DSL filter in reverse. Wall plug to the fax and phone plug to the Vonage Device.

I have been having fax problems with my HUB dedicated line or trying my Telo set to fax mode.

Just tried the Vonage fix on the HUB and it worked with a fax number I always have trouble with.

NOTE I do not have DSL service, I have Cable Broadband.
#59906 by Yoda
Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:22 am
try disabeling error correction on the fax itself. This option (which is typically set to on by default) has caused issues with some compressed lines.