Faxing - I have tried almost everything

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Gearscout

Thank You! The Tip on 'Enable Fax Mode!'

Post by Gearscout » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:34 am

I did NOT have FAX Enabled set. Didn't even know it existed.

Not very intuitive, on the TELO you have to:

My Ooma ---> Preferences ---> Phone Numbers ---> double-click on the number ---> 'Enable Fax Mode' checkbox

I'll test this to see how it works. Just ordered my second line. I'm hoping I can designate that for Fax and leave the primary number optimized for voice.

I'll be happy to pay $10 a month for the Premier service if it makes the fax at least USABLE. My kids need it for their homework and the wife Always seems to require it. I was planning on getting Premium anyway because I'm really liking the Ooma Mobile App on my iPod Touch.
Last edited by Gearscout on Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gearscout
------------
Ooma Telo
Atlanta, GA

ghostx

Re: Faxing - I have tried almost everything

Post by ghostx » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:19 am

Thanks for the responses everyone. I did not know there is a way to enable faxing on my.ooma, and for some reason I cannot find it even from Gearscout's instructions above. But I do use my ooma line for voice calls as well, so it might not be a good idea to turn it on anyway.

As for the scanning suggestion, the only reason I cannot do that is because my scanner is upstairs, and my desktop computer is downstairs so I've pretty much lacked having a scanner almost forever. If I need to scan something really badly I'll just use a free efax service to fax the documents to my email rather than lug my gigantic printer/scanner/faxer(AIO) downstairs where there's no room to plug it in anyway just to lug it upstairs after I'm done.

I have actually figured out how to get it to work so far with 2/2 tries of about 30 pages of faxes since I last posted here. I used on hook dial, and only when I heard the fax connect tone from the other end did I press the start button and start scanning my faxes. I hope this time I didn't just get lucky. It's a lot more annoying than just keying in the number, scanning all my documents and then press start to leave and let the fax machine send the stuff since I have to be in a hurry when scanning the pages while I'm already connected, but at least it works so far.

focuspuller

Post by focuspuller » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:36 pm

I just remembered my early days on Vonage and trying to fax.

I used a DSL filter in reverse. Wall plug to the fax and phone plug to the Vonage Device.

I have been having fax problems with my HUB dedicated line or trying my Telo set to fax mode.

Just tried the Vonage fix on the HUB and it worked with a fax number I always have trouble with.

NOTE I do not have DSL service, I have Cable Broadband.
One if by Land
Two if by Sea
Three if by Limo

Yoda

Post by Yoda » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:22 am

try disabeling error correction on the fax itself. This option (which is typically set to on by default) has caused issues with some compressed lines.