Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#59490 by ghostx
Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:38 pm
Hey everyone, I really need help in trying to diagnose this problem with faxing. I have tried almost everything that has been suggested on the forum in old threads.

To start off, I used to have vonage and faxed without a problem without changing any settings on my fax machine. When I got ooma, I also tested the fax out and sent out about 2 faxes with a 100% success rate(factory defaults, nothing at all changed anywhere-maybe I got real lucky). I had recently got my number ported and I 'think' that's when things started to go downhill(probably not the problem but I have nothing else to blame it on). I have a success rate of about 1/5 faxes sent if I'm lucky..

I lowered the baud rate to 9600, disabled the QoS settings on ooma, used the *99 with pauses, and I remember I cleaned up my wiring a while ago, so I changed around the telephone plugs as well with no luck. I am about to go crazy trying to figure this out, and what bothers me the most is I really can't figure out why it worked just a while ago and what could have changed(other than me cleaning up my wires, which I already tried reversing and the number port).

My setup is like this: Modem -> Router -> Ooma. When I switched from vonage I just swapped out the boxes and everything worked completely fine.

I have not tried receiving faxes, as I rarely ever receive any normally, and all that matters to me is free sending at this point + I use a free efax receiving service anyway if I really need to receive (k7.net or google "free efax").

I'll appreciate it very much if anyone has any suggestions at all whatsoever. I am desperate to solve this annoying faxing problem! Also to add, my router does not have QoS, it's pretty old and I confirmed it with the manufacturer.

TIA!
#59504 by DTMF
Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:14 pm
Doesn't sound to me like you've completely ruled out wiring as a cause of the problem, since you were making wiring changes around the time of the port. Does faxing work (with *99) when the fax machine is plugged directly into the Ooma device? If so, then your wiring must be incorrect or adding noise to the circuit.

My fax machine is in the same room as my Telo and it is plugged in directly to a splitter that's plugged into the Telo. I always use the *99 prefix and I've never once had a problem with sending faxes this way.
#59656 by Gearscout
Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:31 am
I have a Telo on a Comcast cable line that has 20Mbit down and 5Mbit up.

Using *99 prefix and sending faxes from my HP L7650 All-in-One at 9600/normal resolution has resulted in poor quality reception at the other end. Very poor.

Setup is Cable Modem ---> Linksys Routher ---> Ooma ---> Fax Machine 3 feet away.

I cannot receive faxes at all. Each time there is an attempt, it generates a "252 error" which is HP's way of saying the line quality is not good enough to receive a fax.

The fax machine is plugged directly into the "Phone" port of the Telo and there is nothing else connected to the system at the time of testing.

Fortunately, I have "Right Fax" through my company so I will be able to send text/image files via a web client and receive faxes automatically via e-mail. But unless there is a solution somewhere, my home fax features are useless.

I'm searching for suggestions! ;-) Thanks...
#59657 by murphy
Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:45 am
Did you enable FAX mode in your my.ooma account?
You can't receive faxes unless you do.
#59660 by ajw522
Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:12 am
Is Enable Fax Mode the same thing as the high quality codec option that was offered before? In other words, if I have this enabled, is it the equivalent to dialing *99 for every call, and having that same codec for incoming calls?
#59662 by DTMF
Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:26 am
ajw522 wrote:Is Enable Fax Mode the same thing as the high quality codec option that was offered before? In other words, if I have this enabled, is it the equivalent to dialing *99 for every call, and having that same codec for incoming calls?
Yes.

Fax mode may not be optimal if you also use the line for voice.
#59664 by ajw522
Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:50 am
DTMF wrote:
ajw522 wrote:Is Enable Fax Mode the same thing as the high quality codec option that was offered before? In other words, if I have this enabled, is it the equivalent to dialing *99 for every call, and having that same codec for incoming calls?
Yes.

Why is that? Wouldn't that give you better quality?
#59665 by murphy
Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:54 am
My memory (which fails me sometimes) tells me that somewhere on this forum is a message that states that echo cancellation is disabled when in fax mode.

There is a reason that Vonage has a special line for fax only usage.
#59666 by DTMF
Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:16 am
ajw522 wrote:
DTMF wrote:
Yes.

Why is that? Wouldn't that give you better quality?
It's a bandwidth hog and audio becomes an all-or-nothing proposition in bandwidth-challenged conditions. Fax machines can cope with gaps in the transmission. If the audio drops out, the receive end requests a retry and everything gets there eventually. Voice calls tend to be unpleasant when the audio drops out. "Yes, I'm calling to <audio dropout> and we'd like that to be <audio dropout> ...that would be great."
#59690 by oom101
Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:37 am
Just a guess...
I think I heard that Ooma reloads your software when a port is done - maybe it knows your number or something.
Wonder if it caused your firmware to be upgraded or it was just upgraded for new features, and it does not fax as well, or at all unless you set the line to fax mode. Ooma is working on HD voice, whatever that is.
You could ask Ooma support.

Can you scan in your documents and fax them out on a service such as maxemail? Don't no what it would cost, but I use maxemail to leave myself messages and receive faxes. They both come in my email box. Then I can listen file them or print them if they are a fax. Good luck!