Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#59718 by Groundhound
Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:58 pm
As murphy stated, user upgradable firmware for cable modems is not the norm, and from reading the posts on the link you provided, it sounds as though you run the risk of making your modem unusable on Comcast's network. You stated earlier that you recently replaced a rented modem from Comcast with the DCM-202 - did you puchase it new or used?
#59721 by oom101
Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:17 pm
I am on Brighthouse cable, with my own Motorola SB-6120. Motorola would not provide update info. Brighthouse added my modem MAC address to their inventory system, and their system updates the firmware per Brighthouse tested system requirements. I agree that flashing your own modem sounds wrong. Maybe your cable company does not support your modem type. I checked first. Motorola is one of several standard modems that cable companies use.

Anyway, if you don't change IP's very often, just power off your cable modem, patch your connection around your Ooma directly to the modem, and bring it back up, then do your thing with the PC. Power down the modem, put the Ooma back in, and power back up.

I've never had luck doing a release of IP, even before I had an Ooma. My cable system seems to remember IP based on the modem MAC address or some such, and I had to contact Brighthouse tech support to get them to drop me, and give me another IP way back. Haven't had to do it in years, though.
#59723 by oom101
Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:31 pm
See my above post, and make sure you are using the modem supplied by your cable company, or one that they do supply that you have purchased (if they even allow it), and have their inventory people add it to their system. That's how it works on a previously Time Warner, now Brighthouse system. Any variations are asking for trouble. Good luck!
#59725 by cjw7
Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:58 pm
I purchased the modem used, and it is one that is supported by comcast.

I will contact them to see if they can update it.
#59744 by cjw7
Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:25 am
comcast won't do anything. The tech I spoke to said they don't do firmware upgrades.
#59745 by cjw7
Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:30 am
It's worth a try asking them why your 2.0 modem is configured to run in 1.1 mode.

He wouldn't do anything about this either. I tried explaining to him that I ran a test on the modem and it is running in 1.1, but my modem is 2.0. I don't think he understood, and I don't know how to explain it differently. He thinks I am saying that the modem is a 1.1 modem and that I want him to make it a 2.0 modem...at least that is what I got from the conversation.
#59748 by murphy
Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:50 am
cjw7 wrote:It's worth a try asking them why your 2.0 modem is configured to run in 1.1 mode.

He wouldn't do anything about this either. I tried explaining to him that I ran a test on the modem and it is running in 1.1, but my modem is 2.0. I don't think he understood, and I don't know how to explain it differently. He thinks I am saying that the modem is a 1.1 modem and that I want him to make it a 2.0 modem...at least that is what I got from the conversation.

Did you select the technical question entry on Comcast's phone tree? The low level script reader would not know anything about it. All cable modems are programmed from the head end to give you the capabilities that you are paying for.
(1 IP address, set the max speed to the plan that you are on, etc.)
It's possible you are in an area that still has old head end equipment. The firmware in the modem has to be compatible with the head end equipment. This is more likely if your system was a takeover from someone else (like Adelphia) than if it has always been Comcast.
#59749 by cjw7
Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:17 am
the dlink modem was on the list of compatible modems comcast supports.
#59750 by cjw7
Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:37 am
I have now talked to 2 different tech reps, who both said they can do nothing about the 2.0 modem running in 1.1 mode.