Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#59237 by cjw7
Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:48 pm
Now that I have the ooma hub, I am unable to change my ip address at will. I have comcast cable and modem, no router. I need to be able to change my ip address for different user accounts, and I used to be able to do this easily with the tcp/ip properties.
#59242 by Groundhound
Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:34 pm
In http://setup.ooma.com, go to the Network page and try using a Custom Modem port MAC address (put in a fake one in the input box). Then click update and power off your Ooma Hub and your modem. After about 30 seconds, power up first your modem and then your Ooma Hub, and that may force a new IP address. This is counter to the advice normally given here regarding the Modem port MAC address - normally things are more stable if you use the "Use Built In" setting, but your case is unusual and fooling the modem into thinking a new device is connected may force the IP change you want. If you begin to experience problems with your Ooma connecting, then I would go back to using the built in address.
#59243 by Aveamantium
Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:36 pm
I appologize if I don't follow you exactly... You have the hub connected to the modem so it will get assigned an IP from your ISP provider (you have no control over this). Second, you have a device connected to the hub and want to change IP's? Is there a switch involved? Have you logged into setup.ooma.com? Have you looked at the advanced tab? Here you can specifiy the start and end IP range for the DHCP server (IP's leased out to connected devices).
#59248 by cjw7
Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:33 am
I should clarify that I was able to obtain a different ip address since it is dynamic. I would go into the tcp/ip properties, put a false ip address in, close out the properties box, then go back in and click 'obtain ip address automatically' and that assigns a new ip address. Now that I have the ooma connected, I am unable to do this.
I don't know what you mean by a 'switch', but I only have the hub and a modem. I have tried the advanced tab, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right. Do I fill in the DHCP boxes and leave the home port boxes empty? Does it then assign a random ip?
I only need to have a different ip address from the previous one, not a specific one for each user account.

I appologize if I don't follow you exactly... You have the hub connected to the modem so it will get assigned an IP from your ISP provider (you have no control over this). Second, you have a device connected to the hub and want to change IP's? Is there a switch involved? Have you logged into setup.ooma.com? Have you looked at the advanced tab? Here you can specifiy the start and end IP range for the DHCP server (IP's leased out to connected devices).
#59286 by Aveamantium
Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:21 pm
The home port IP is the IP address that you connect to when connected to the "home" port and using setup.ooma.com. The DHCP range is the range of IPs that can be assigned to connected devices (is random but is based on the MAC address of the connected device so it typically won't change). The default subnet for the Hub is 172.27.35.X with the hub being addressed at "1" or 172.27.35.1 and the DHCP Range from 10-160. Having said that, is there any reason you "need" to change IPs? The DHCP server in the hub will assign IPs from 10-160 so unless you have over 150 connected devices you shouldn't have issues.
#59292 by Groundhound
Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:57 pm
cjw7 wrote:Now that I have the ooma hub, I am unable to change my ip address at will. I have comcast cable and modem, no router. I need to be able to change my ip address for different user accounts, and I used to be able to do this easily with the tcp/ip properties.

From this post I assumed (perhaps incorrectly), you were talking about your public WAN IP, the one you see at the top of this page: http://www.whatsmyip.org/. If this is true then playing around with the DHCP settings in setup will not achieve what you are trying to do - that will only change the local IP your Ooma Hub assigns to your computer. Did you try my first suggestion above?
#59386 by cjw7
Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:36 am
yes, I have tried changing the mac id. I just change one number and it changes the ip address shown on the web.

I am having another problem now since hooking up the ooma hub...internet pages don't want to load and keep timing out. Also call quality seems diminished. I can hear the person on the other end just fine, but the people I'm talking to say the conversation cuts out a lot.
#59398 by Groundhound
Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:50 am
cjw7 wrote:yes, I have tried changing the mac id. I just change one number and it changes the ip address shown on the web.

I am having another problem now since hooking up the ooma hub...internet pages don't want to load and keep timing out. Also call quality seems diminished. I can hear the person on the other end just fine, but the people I'm talking to say the conversation cuts out a lot.

Does the page load issue happen just during calls or all the time? Run the test at http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html and post the results from the Advanced tab.
#59423 by cjw7
Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:15 pm
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 3.7 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 8.1 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.9

Speed test statistics