Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#58985 by Hollywood
Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:46 pm
1. After 911 and the Patriot Act, it's been rumored that all calls are "listened in on", probably by electronic filters looking for trigger words, or by government persons if they wanted to. *If* this is true, does Ooma provide access of our calls to the government?

2. I have been reading about QOS. If you have, say .75MBS upload speed and reserve 1/3rd of that for the Ooma, does that reduce your upload speed all of the time, or just when you are on a call (using the Ooma)?

3. I have a Panasonic Cordless system with Bluetooth, and a cell phone. I am using Multiring. Whenever I get a call, answered on either one, after the call, both phones say missed call. Does anyone else notice this? I assume it is a quirk of the system like a loop, but not an Ooma problem. :)

These are not complaints, just questions. I really like Ooma!
#58986 by DTMF
Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:02 pm
Ooma's probably too small of a player in the telecom world for the government to bother asking to listen in on its customers. Most of the listening is likely happening at the places with the really big pipes. If you connect to Ooma through one of those providers, you're probably being monitored.
#58987 by lbmofo
Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:48 pm
Hollywood wrote:1. After 911 and the Patriot Act, it's been rumored that all calls are "listened in on", probably by electronic filters looking for trigger words, or by government persons if they wanted to. *If* this is true, does Ooma provide access of our calls to the government?
I think if warrant issued, whatever process that is, ooma's law enforcement compliance dept would have to cooperate.

2. I have been reading about QOS. If you have, say .75MBS upload speed and reserve 1/3rd of that for the Ooma, does that reduce your upload speed all of the time, or just when you are on a call (using the Ooma)?
Only when call is in progress given that you have ooma between your modem and router.

3. I have a Panasonic Cordless system with Bluetooth, and a cell phone. I am using Multiring. Whenever I get a call, answered on either one, after the call, both phones say missed call. Does anyone else notice this? I assume it is a quirk of the system like a loop, but not an Ooma problem. :)
So thru bluetooth, you are able to answer your cell phone calls using Panasonic right? When you do multi-ring to your cell that's paired, your Panasonic is ringing due to ooma device receiving a call and it also senses your cell phone getting a call so you got 2 calls coming into your Panasonic at once. Kind of messy to step thru the logic and figure out.... :)

These are not complaints, just questions. I really like Ooma!
#58996 by Groundhound
Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:55 am
Hollywood wrote:1. After 911 and the Patriot Act, it's been rumored that all calls are "listened in on", probably by electronic filters looking for trigger words, or by government persons if they wanted to. *If* this is true, does Ooma provide access of our calls to the government?

IIRC, such monitoring in the absence of a warrant occurred only on international calls, and was discontinued when the Patriot Act was renewed a few years ago. As far as general privacy is concerned, Ooma is better than most other services (including POTS) in that at least half the path - between the Ooma user and Ooma's servers - is encrypted. Ooma-to-Ooma calls are encrypted for the full path, but I'm sure Ooma has a means of complying with a legal warrant to allow monitoring.