Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#58706 by LloydEwing
Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:44 pm
I was impressed by the User's Guide for the "Hub" and had expected to get similar information for the the Telo. Are there plans to produce a Users Guide for the Telo? If so when will it be available?

Right now, I need the technical specifications of the Ooma Telo that correspond to Appendix D of the "Hub" Users Guide, including the environmental requirements. Where can I find this information?

Thank you,
#107922 by o386
Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:23 pm
Agreed.

I always assumed that the technical specifications were availible, either in the box or on the web site.
Then, when I need them, I can't find them anywhere.

I am looking for the voltage input range. The adapter is listed as 5V. But what is the tollerance. Some similar devices can be powered on a wide range of inputs. I am looking to have a DC battery backup for the Telo, but that might not be possible if the tollerance is narrow.

Dear Ooma... Someone manufactured this item. Someone knows what the specifications and tollerances are. Please make that document availible to us the Ooma users.

Thank You.
#107945 by Tom
Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:08 pm
The telo environmentals are about the same as the hub. As for the adapter. Any UL-certified 5V +/- 5% @ 2A or more switching power supply will PROBABLY work, but not using our power supply obviously voids the warranty. We can't publish a spec because the company would be liable if something went wrong in someone trying to meet the spec.
#108294 by LloydEwing
Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:41 pm
Thanks to o386 for adding his question to this thread so I finally got a response to my question. Also thanks to Tom for posting a response almost three years later, even though he does not provide any answers. He makes suggestions but he doesn't provide any useful information.

It is obvious that the Telo was not designed for operation in the same range of temperatures as those that are given for the Hub. Since the Telo is in a heavy, tightly sealed enclosure, it may work for a while in a warm climate without air conditioning, but doing that will clearly shorten the life of the device. It would appear that this is confirmed by Ooma's refusal to provide actual specifications. When the Telo fails Ooma will be happy to sell a replacement, as long as it works long enough so the warranty has expired.

As for the power supply specifications, claiming that "We can't publish a spec because the company would be liable" is an not just a refusal to answer, it is an insult to the intelligence of anyone who reads his reply. (I.e., how were they able to provide specs for the Hub?) Tom should have just said he doesn't know, which I am sure would be the truth.

Most recent electronic equipment like routers and VOIP phone adapters will accept a wide range of input voltages, e.g., 4 to at least 14 volts, because they have internal switching regulators that only use the current that is needed. Since battery backup for VOIP equipment is so important, one would think that Ooma should be willing to provide actual specifications.

My advice to o386 is that if he is using a standard 12 volt battery, then get an ordinary switching power supply that provides 5 volts from a car cigarette lighter. Those power supplies are designed to operate with a wide range of input voltages because the power provided by cigarette lighters can vary quite a bit. (Be aware that if you discharge a lead-acid battery below about 10 volts, that will reduce the capacity of the battery.)
#108306 by Telo_BK
Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:52 pm
Tom B wrote:The telo environmentals are about the same as the hub. As for the adapter. Any UL-certified 5V +/- 5% @ 2A or more switching power supply will PROBABLY work, but not using our power supply obviously voids the warranty. We can't publish a spec because the company would be liable if something went wrong in someone trying to meet the spec.

The quoted statement makes no practical sense. Ooma seems to be the only company that thinks that way. Ooma provides the only electronic equipment that I know of for which no specs are available. I am an electronic design engineer. There are telco standards that equipment must meet to ensure compatibility with the rest of the system. There are electronic specs it must meet to ensure that replacement parts work, and that it is operating as designed. Maybe that explains why I bought a Telo wireless adapter that didn't work out of the box, and had to be replaced, and a Bluetooth adapter that worked only at very close range and had to be replaced. Yes, Ooma's equipment should meet their specifications, so being liable is not an issue. To sell stuff with the idea that it doesn't meet a specification is dumb- as the foregoing experiences illustrate.

Ooma needs to make sure that their equipment is manufactured to their specifications. 6-Sigma is widely deployed to improve manufacturing efficiency and customer satisfaction. It's based on specifications.
#108318 by Telo_BK
Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:05 pm
lbmofo wrote:What's wrong with Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS)?

To keep an Ooma running? Well, UPSs consume (read waste) a lot of power and the batteries need to be replaced every couple of years. Read the quiescent power (or current) spec for a few popular ones. Would that work? Yes, but at ridiculous cost.

The person who asked the question seems to have the right idea. Provide a regulated battery backup for the wall wart at the DC end that plugs into the Telo. It's much more efficient than having a AC-DC (stepdown) and a DC-AC (stepup) converter capable of supplying large currents at 117V.