Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#58047 by beachbum
Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:51 am
Ok, first of all, I have an original hub, not a Telo. Within the last couple of hours, the red light came on the hub instead of the normal blue. I unplugged the power and tried to recycle it. The lights did not do their usual flashing of the buttons showing the reboot. Just the tab at the top stays solid red. I tried again by unplugging it for about five minutes, same result. I also did the cable modem, router, ooma cycle with the same result. Is my one year old hub dead?
#58050 by ntoy
Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:23 am
Hello,

If you take ethernet cable out of the Modem port on the hub & plug into a pc, you are able to surf the web?

If you plug power back into your hub, the tab immediately turns red or orange as opposed to the boot up lights you mentioned? If so, the hardware may have failed. You can try a factory reset:

-Unplug power on the hub
-press the Ooma tab that is red & hold down while you plug power back in
-wait about 45-50 seconds to see if anything changes.
#58054 by beachbum
Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:17 am
ntoy wrote:Hello,

If you take ethernet cable out of the Modem port on the hub & plug into a pc, you are able to surf the web?

Yes, I get a signal from the cable.

ntoy wrote:If you plug power back into your hub, the tab immediately turns red or orange as opposed to the boot up lights you mentioned?

The tab immediately turns red or orange (I guess orange is a better description). There is no boot up light sequence.

ntoy wrote:If so, the hardware may have failed. You can try a factory reset:

:o failed... :shock:

ntoy wrote:-Unplug power on the hub
-press the Ooma tab that is red & hold down while you plug power back in
-wait about 45-50 seconds to see if anything changes.

I did this. The tab does not go into the device but I can push it toward the ground and it seems to click. I unplugged it, held the tab down, plugged it back in, immediately released the ooma tab, waited... nothing...

I then unplugged it, held down the tab, plugged it back in, kept holding the tab for about a minute, then released... nothing...

I am shocked that the hub may have failed. I have had it for one year. Matter of fact, just a few days ago was the first annual subscription renewal. Which I just checked online and I believe the wrong price was charged to my credit card. I received an announcement email last October that the subscription was increasing but that I would be grandfather-ed in at the $99 rate. My card was charged $119.99... That is the new rate, not the rate for existing customers that the email announcement said.

So, I have two issues. I have a one year old dead hub and I believe I was incorrectly charged for the premier service. Also, if I were to buy another device, I would be charged for the new taxes, etc. I took care of this one, put it on a UPS protected from both power and cable spikes, had it in a protected area with plenty of air flow, and it dies. Now what?
#58056 by murphy
Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:38 am
You had to prepay, before 12/31/09, to get additional years at the lower rate.
#58063 by beachbum
Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:02 pm
The announcement says absolutely nothing about prepaying or that the offer would expire or anything at all about 12/31/09.

This is the quote:
" We've grandfathered existing Ooma Premier annual subscribers at the previous rate of $99.99. "

In a lower section for new customers it says $119.99.
#58080 by beachbum
Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:25 pm
Hey murphy,

I just noticed that your signature says "Lifetime Premier Service". How did you get that? I looked back and never got a notice about that. I didn't even know that was a possibility. How did you find about about that?
#58082 by murphy
Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:40 pm
beachbum wrote:Hey murphy,

I just noticed that your signature says "Lifetime Premier Service". How did you get that? I looked back and never got a notice about that. I didn't even know that was a possibility. How did you find about about that?

There were never any notices that I can remember.
It was mentioned in the forums last year as being available.
The Ooma sales department called it the "buy out option".
A little math convinced me that it was a good investment based on what I used to pay to Vonage for 2 phone lines.
The offer was withdrawn at the end of last year.
If you check my post count you will see that I spend way too much time reading forum posts.
#58084 by ntoy
Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:48 pm
Murphy is correct on the 12/31/2009 date:

https://www.ooma.com/blog/2009/10/

As for your device, it does sounds like it has failed. If you decide to purchase a device, I can
swap the new device into your account. Just send me a personal email with the details and you account
settings wwould be maintained.
#58090 by beachbum
Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:06 pm
I will NOT be purchasing another device. I had this one for ONE YEAR. Buying a device each year plus getting taxed now plus the new premier price is too much. Especially, since the official notice got led me to believe that I was
"grandfathered" (exact word) in at $99/year. The notice you linked to was not sent to me nor was I sent anything that said to check that page. My only official notice led me to believe that the $99 would continue. I had family members and friends sign up for ooma because of me. Now I will stop my sister from purchasing one and get with all the others that also thought the $99 would continue. Everyone that I know that also got the notice ALL thought the $99 would continue.

My credit card was hit FOUR DAYS AGO for the first re-up on premier. I am not paying $250 each year for a new device.

How do I go about canceling my account and getting my premier money back?
#58093 by ntoy
Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:30 pm
A couple of things to clarify:

Your current account does not have fees or taxes associated. If you were to buy a device that stated taxes & fees on the box, you would not incur them if I swapped the replacement device into your account.

We would hate to lose you as a customer, but send me a personal email & we can address off line.

If you have already decided, you can contact our support folks and they can open a case to cancel your account & refund you the annual premiere that was charged.

Regards,
Norm