Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#57803 by norwood451
Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:07 pm
the phone conected to the ooma does not display the caller (s) id. I tested with cell phone and it displays unknown. When I hang up it displays missed call, which is useless without the id phone number. I am new to ooma, what do I do?
#57804 by lbmofo
Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:24 pm
Are you using landline integration mode? Sometimes no incoming callerid happens even when you subscribe to callerid on the landline. Also, sometimes, voicemail greeting doesn't kick in either. It is best to run ooma standalone so if you are indeed running in landline integration mode, call customer service tomorrow and ask them to change your configuration and assign your ooma a new number.
#57808 by norwood451
Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:05 pm
Hmm, I think so. At least I have my old phone service and oomo both on at the same time. I would like to port my at&t line, but need to wait 4 weeks... Not sure what I would do with another number, as know one knows it. I guess I could call out, but then, I think, my caller id would be wrong, and know one would pick up.. I was told I would have all of the ooma features, but of course, I would still have to pay for the att&t. So, I am confussed, why I do not have caller Id, which is one of the reaseon I bought the ooma phone.
#57809 by lbmofo
Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:14 pm
Landline integration = you plug ooma's wall port into your house wall jack and use your existing # with ooma even without porting the number to ooma.

In landline integration mode, the incoming callerid would only work if you have callerid service through your landline but there is a bug where some people's setup wouldn't work (no incoming callerid) even if they subscribe to the landline callerid. If you can live with this inconvenience for the duration of the port, then you're good (I lived through 2.5 weeks of no incoming callerid) but once port is complete, all will work fine.

But, if you can't live with it, you can do what I talked about and have ooma change your setup to standalone and get a temp number. This maybe an inconvenience as well for the duration of the port since your outgoing callerid is gonna be different than your existing number. However, to receive all calls using ooma, you can forward your landline to your temp ooma number (if you have that feature on your landline).

As far as I know, there is no solution found for the bug you are experiencing so it all depends on what would bug you more for the duration of the port (~2.5 weeks).
#57811 by norwood451
Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:00 am
Oh, a bug. That figures. So, far not satisfied with service. I guess I will be ok ater number is ported. Thanx.
#57812 by lbmofo
Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:07 am
You currently subscribe to callerid with AT&T right? If not, you aren't supposed to get callierd in landline integration mode since all incoming calls are coming from the landline.
#57825 by norwood451
Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:56 am
I do not have caller id with at&t. The ooma phone and the At&t phone both ring. Go figure.
#57876 by philw132
Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:21 am
I think the best option is what i did when i ported my number from comcast. Call up ooma tell them to change your service to stand alone instead of line intergrated, write down the new ooma phone number you have, then call At&t and tell them to forward all calls from your AT&T phone line to your ooma phone number, then goto my.ooma.com and order the number porting. then you can disconnect your POTS (analog) wiring in the house and just use the ooma exclusively. only problem is for a couple weeks your outgoing caller id will look a little funny to people but it will still display with your name that you registered your ooma device under so they would be able to figure that much out at lest. and after the porting you will have to do nothing. (of course this all depends if you have dsl, i would not disconnect the phone wiring if you currently use dsl)

edit: i forgot to mention that all calls forwarding from the at&t line to ooma even tho you dont have CID service with at&t WILL display CALLER ID info on the ooma, atlest it worked in mine, and 2 other installs ive done for people.

norwood451 wrote:Hmm, I think so. At least I have my old phone service and oomo both on at the same time. I would like to port my at&t line, but need to wait 4 weeks... Not sure what I would do with another number, as know one knows it. I guess I could call out, but then, I think, my caller id would be wrong, and know one would pick up.. I was told I would have all of the ooma features, but of course, I would still have to pay for the att&t. So, I am confussed, why I do not have caller Id, which is one of the reaseon I bought the ooma phone.
#57877 by lbmofo
Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:21 am
norwood451 wrote:I do not have caller id with at&t. The ooma phone and the At&t phone both ring. Go figure.

In landline integration mode, to have incoming callerid, you need to subscribe to the callerid feature on landline so in your case, this wouldn't be a bug.
#57975 by norwood451
Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:52 pm
Thank you for that. I got Ooma so I could get Caller Id and not pay for it + free long distance. – I have come to the collusion I will only be able to use one benefit with Ooma, and that is the Long Distance. It turned out that if I port my 1st line, and move my DSL to my second line, it will end up costing $180.00 more per year, as I have a great DSL promotion and will loose if I cancel the 1st line. Having said that, I was considering porting my second line instead of the first, but when I was calling out on my Ooma line I was VERY surprised when the my primary telephone number rang on my At&t line, which is supposed to be the same number as the Oomo line. I do not have any forwarding features turned on with Oomo. Is this is normal? If so, I have no reason to port the 2nd line. I can simply disconnect the second and have two lines on the same number and save the porting fee. Also, I can cancel call forwarding feature I pay for with At&t, which I thought I needed in order to have 2 lines. In essence, if I use the Ooma line to call out, my At&t line will turn into my second line. I think? Any comments will be appreciated, as it would be nice to know before I cancel the second line and Att&t call forwarding, but it will save me $291.00 the first year if I do not sign up for the premier service.