Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#57527 by DMRNYC
Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:55 am
ntoy wrote:Hello DMRNYC,

Yes, your box was updated. Now, firmware updates are rolled out in random batches. Meaning not all Ooma systems active on the network are updated on the same day. It make take up to a week to complete.

Thank you for the clarification! Is there a way that I can determine that an update is occurring so I don't go through a panic attack over loss of service?

Best wishes,

David
#57530 by ntoy
Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:20 am
Hello David,

I guess without calling support, one way would be if you see what we call the "run way lights" on the bottom
row of a telo. This would indicate an upgrade in progress. Sometimes upgrades do take longer, it depends on the traffic in the network.
#57535 by DMRNYC
Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:50 am
ntoy:

Thanks, again. One last question. If indeed I had turned off the Telo during the update but it is now working, does that mean that the update was successful, or could it be corrupted? (In other words, would the update have restarted when the unit was powered up again)?

Best wishes,

David in NY
#57537 by ntoy
Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:09 pm
In the early days, unplugging power on the device while an upgrade was in progress may have corrupted the firmware.
Now, software has improved with safety nets. But, sometimes it is hard to predict behavior with software/hardware.

It would be best to leave the device powered without interruption unless otherwise instructed by support.
#57546 by DMRNYC
Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:20 pm
ntoy wrote:In the early days, unplugging power on the device while an upgrade was in progress may have corrupted the firmware.
Now, software has improved with safety nets. But, sometimes it is hard to predict behavior with software/hardware.

It would be best to leave the device powered without interruption unless otherwise instructed by support.

Thanks for your help!
#57550 by Todd H
Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:11 pm
Just experienced the same thing with my hub. Hub red light was blinking for a couple of minutes. My DSL modem light was blinking as if something was downloading. I figured it must be a firmware update so I left it alone. After a couple of minutes it's back up.
#83354 by MPDano
Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:36 pm
Hmm, mine is doing this now too. I had dial tone earlier about 2 hours ago but couldn't call out or in. It was actually normal as far as lights. Now it's got the blinking red logo. Would be nice to get a courtesy email when these updates are going to happen. We are VOIP you know.
#83357 by thunderbird
Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:11 am
MPDano wrote:Hmm, mine is doing this now too. I had dial tone earlier about 2 hours ago but couldn't call out or in. It was actually normal as far as lights. Now it's got the blinking red logo. Would be nice to get a courtesy email when these updates are going to happen. We are VOIP you know.

If it's still blinking, remove power from your Modem, Ooma, Router. Wait fifteen minutes. Repower your Modem, when the modem is done powering, repower what ever is connected to the Modem (Ooma or Router). When that is done powering, repower what is left.
#83363 by Gorbanifar
Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:56 am
After 11 months of error free service my wife was finally convinced we would not have the misery caused by our previous exploits into voip (Vonage).

I was just preparing to terminate the land line this week and now I have an unresponsive blinking red which started 3 days ago.

Rebooted countless times - still blinking
Reooted modem - router - ooma - still blinking
Waited de-energized for 30 min - still blinking
Connected to computer and Reset device to dhcp as indicated in other thread - still blinking

The cat10 wire lights are solid green and blinking yellow
So I can address the ooma with my computer, the internet connection is magnificent but it still refuses to respond.
#83364 by thunderbird
Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:23 am
Gorbanifar wrote:After 11 months of error free service my wife was finally convinced we would not have the misery caused by our previous exploits into voip (Vonage).

I was just preparing to terminate the land line this week and now I have an unresponsive blinking red which started 3 days ago.

Rebooted countless times - still blinking
Reooted modem - router - ooma - still blinking
Waited de-energized for 30 min - still blinking
Connected to computer and Reset device to dhcp as indicated in other thread - still blinking

The cat10 wire lights are solid green and blinking yellow
So I can address the ooma with my computer, the internet connection is magnificent but it still refuses to respond.

When you access Ooma Setup, click on Status page and see if OOMA Tunnel: is showing connected. If it's not, you have to contact Ooma Customer Support to get it going again. Contact them anyway to see if they can see anything from their side.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

If you are still in the one year warranty period and your Ooma device is found to be defective, Ooma will send you replacement shipping prepaid, along with a prepaid shipping label, for shipping the defective Ooma back.