Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#3701 by WayneDsr
Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:36 am
For the connect tone:
In the Lounge, go to Preferences, System.
Disable the tone.

The ooma dial tone signifies you are using ooma calling vs landline.
There is no way to disable that at this time.

Wayne
#3977 by magichael
Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:07 am
I have selected the "disable" the ooma dialtone under my preferences, but it still gives me the ooma tone. Is the disable feature not working at the moment? I thought I read somewhere about 2 weeks ago that they started offering this disable feature. Anyone at ooma have any advice? Thanks. Other than a few kinks in the system to work out, I like the service so far...
#3980 by WayneDsr
Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:38 am
It does not disable the DIAL TONE, it disables the CONNECT TONE you hear when your caller answers.
ooma dial tone cannot be disabled.

Wayne
#4167 by AlaBryan
Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:27 am
The ooma dialtone would not be so objectionable, to me, if they would re-record it. It sounds like it was overdriven into distortion, like so many customer-service queue elevator music recordings you have to listen to for 30 minutes before they get around to answering your call.

Another thought is that it is recoreded on a low-resolution quantizer, say 8 bits rather than the 12 bits used in MP3s or 16 bits used on CDs.

Regardless of the cause, ooma would do well to figure out how to demonstrate their clarity with a clear ringtone.
#5460 by swatts
Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:53 pm
AlaBryan wrote:Another thought is that it is recoreded on a low-resolution quantizer, say 8 bits rather than the 12 bits used in MP3s or 16 bits used on CDs.

Regardless of the cause, ooma would do well to figure out how to demonstrate their clarity with a clear ringtone.

Or how about being able to upload your OWN mp3 tone into your personal preferences.?!
#5481 by oomg
Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:18 am
swatts wrote:Or how about being able to upload your OWN mp3 tone into your personal preferences.?!

Yeah... theme from Jaws... or maybe the theme song from Rawhide... or maybe the Blues Brothers' version of the song would be nicer.

Actually, the tone on the outgoing is really not that annoying to me. I have disabled the tone to the receiving party.

oomg
#5533 by Sublime
Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:45 pm
I actually like the ooma dial tone. One problem I noticed is when using the answering machine on my panasonic phone, I hear the ooma dial tone after every message. I guess the machine doesn't stop recording until it hears normal dial tone. It would be nice to have the option to turn the ooma dial tone off.
Last edited by Sublime on Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#5907 by jw530
Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:54 pm
I also want to remove the ooma jingle tone from the dialtone. The web change to remove the tone does not seem to be working - at least for dialing out of ooma. I don't think the one receiving the call can hear the jingle when the call connects.

It seems to me that if you offer an option to remove the ooma connection jingle it should be disabled from the entire system. I'll put up with it if that's what the company requires, but what is the point of having it if the customers don't want/like it?
#5908 by murphy
Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:59 pm
The option is to remove or change the connect tone. It has nothing to do with the dial tone.