Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#57230 by Schwulmon
Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:14 am
We had a thunderstorm go through town last night and I have 2 scouts that both started flashing after a clap of thunder was close to the house. I unplugged them and now the bottom 4 lights are on for both units. The hub is plugged into the wall and the scouts are plugged into the wall and the interior phone line has been disconnected from the phone company outside the house. The hub is working normally - just the scouts have the lights lit. Can anyone give me any advice as to what should be done. I rebooted the hub, just in case and then the scouts, but to no avail. Thanks.
#57231 by murphy
Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:29 am
One at a time connect each scout directly to the hub with a short phone cable (Wall port to Wall port). If they work connected this way, you have wiring problems in your walls.
#57232 by southsound
Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:31 am
The first thing you want to do is test each scout to see if it is working. The best way to do this is to move each one next to the hub and connect a phone cord directly from the WALL port on the hub to the WALL port on the scout. Do this invidually for each scout and of course remember to connect up the power as well. If the scout is working, you can then concentrate on seeing if something else went wrong. You mentioned that the phone line has been disconnected outside the house so I am going to assume that you actually disconnected the short cable or swing-out plug - not that you just had the utility turned off. If the utility lines were still connected I would suspect that the surge protection in the Network Interface had fried and that was the cause of your problem, but with the utility lines lines out of the picture, any problems would have had to come over the AC power lines. Let us know the results of your scout testing.

Sorry murphy types faster and less characters. I'll leave my post as it has some other ideas. :P
#57241 by Schwulmon
Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:26 am
I plugged each one directly into the hub and they went through the same sequence of lights with the 4 bottom ones remaining lit. Yes, I pulled the outside plug so that the Ooma signal does not try to go the the phone company. Does this mean that somehow the scout was knocked out?
#57242 by southsound
Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:31 am
Schwulmon wrote:I plugged each one directly into the hub and they went through the same sequence of lights with the 4 bottom ones remaining lit. Yes, I pulled the outside plug so that the Ooma signal does not try to go the the phone company. Does this mean that somehow the scout was knocked out?

Well, it could be the two scouts but I wonder if instead it isn't something in the hub - the part that communicates with the scouts via HPNA or maybe the firmware itself got trashed. Try doing a factory reset of the hub. Groundhound gives instructions here (he assumes you are going from a powered DOWN state):
Groundhound wrote:Try a factory reset on the Hub by holding down the Ooma tab (it's a switch) for 30 seconds while powering the Hub up. Hold down tab>plug in power>continue holding down tab for 30 sec. Afterwords, plug in and power up the Scout. You will need to re-enter any custom settings in the Hub's setup.
#57244 by Schwulmon
Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:38 am
OK, I will try that tonight and let you know if it works.

Thanks
#57292 by Schwulmon
Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:47 am
Well, it could be the two scouts but I wonder if instead it isn't something in the hub - the part that communicates with the scouts via HPNA or maybe the firmware itself got trashed. Try doing a factory reset of the hub. Groundhound gives instructions here (he assumes you are going from a powered DOWN

I was able to successfully reboot the hub using the above method (took several times), but the light is blue and the phone works. The 2 scouts I have still will not work and are solid red across the bottom. Any other suggestions?

thanks
#57295 by ntoy
Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:52 am
Hello,

It could be the "wall" port on the hub that may have gone bad. Please contact
our support line to go over a few things.

Regards,
Norm
#57319 by TBS123
Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:33 pm
Schwulmon wrote:We had a thunderstorm go through town last night and I have 2 scouts that both started flashing after a clap of thunder was close to the house. I unplugged them and now the bottom 4 lights are on for both units. The hub is plugged into the wall and the scouts are plugged into the wall and the interior phone line has been disconnected from the phone company outside the house. The hub is working normally - just the scouts have the lights lit. Can anyone give me any advice as to what should be done. I rebooted the hub, just in case and then the scouts, but to no avail. Thanks.

It's funny - the exact same thing happened to us last night. We had a storm come through, and a thunder clap right on top of our house left us with the same scenario (but we only have one Scout). I tried connecting the Scout to the other phone jacks in the house and even directly to the Hub, but still only get the four red lights. The phone connected directly to the Hub still works fine. I came here just hoping for some insight, and found this thread right off the top. Please post back when you find an answer.

Ted
#57320 by Schwulmon
Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:29 pm
It's funny - the exact same thing happened to us last night. We had a storm come through, and a thunder clap right on top of our house left us with the same scenario (but we only have one Scout). I tried connecting the Scout to the other phone jacks in the house and even directly to the Hub, but still only get the four red lights. The phone connected directly to the Hub still works fine. I came here just hoping for some insight, and found this thread right off the top. Please post back when you find an answer.

I called Ooma support this evening and they gave me a ticket number and are escalating it to level 2 support. I could not stay on the phone any longer this evening and will call them back tomorrow. I will post what happens after I talk with them.