Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#56380 by Davesworld
Sat May 22, 2010 4:23 pm
Just to keep people posted on my own personal experience trying to port a number FROM Ooma TO CallCentric, read on.

I've been trying to port out one of my four Ooma numbers to CallCentric since well over a month ago. I filled out an LNP request to CallCentric and by April 16th they had verified my documentation (Had to actually submit screenshots from My Ooma) and submitted the LNP request to Ooma. April 23rd I received news that Ooma had rejected my LNP request based on there being a second name on my account. I entertained the idea that Ooma may have rejected my request based on my middle initial being in the first name block of my profile after my first name. CallCentric insisted that it would not be rejected based on a middle initial and that it was a completely different name entirely so on April 26th Callcentric submitted a CSR (Customer Service Record) request to Ooma so we can see who this second completely different name is. On May 21st I received word from CallCentric that the CSR request was rejected by Ooma based on a small technicality and that Callcentric made the necessary corrections and resubmitted the CSR request. So this is where I am at so far.

I also did request information from Ooma myself meanwhile but have not yet received an answer. I find all of this to be bizarre. I hope it's just an input error from last year and not a willful effort to make this difficult. The number in question is one I ported from Packet 8 last year with absolutely no difficulty from Packet 8 at that time. It was originally a DID issued by Level 3 Communications although XO Communications and Ooma have control of it now.
#56412 by Davesworld
Sat May 22, 2010 9:08 pm
Groundhound wrote:Since it is one of four numbers, I assume it is not your primary account number. Just so there's no mix-up about not closing your account.

Actually it's my primary number on my HUB which only has two numbers. My two Telo numbers are not in the equation. Sorry for the confusion. Even so why is it so difficult for the other carrier to get a CSR so we can see the completely different second name? Why can't I see this purported second name in My Ooma?
#56438 by Groundhound
Sun May 23, 2010 4:43 am
Davesworld wrote:Actually it's my primary number on my HUB which only has two numbers. My two Telo numbers are not in the equation. Sorry for the confusion. Even so why is it so difficult for the other carrier to get a CSR so we can see the completely different second name? Why can't I see this purported second name in My Ooma?

Just wondering what might be the cause of the confusion. If there really is a second name on your Hub account they certainly should be able to tell you what it is. Since you are porting out your main number, is account closure what you want for your Hub? I'd make sure Ooma knows your desire so you don't end up with a Hub needing reactivation (along with the fee) by mistake.
#56447 by Davesworld
Sun May 23, 2010 10:09 am
lbmofo wrote:Your new carrier might be talking to ooma's service provider. Is it XO?

All my Ooma numbers are XO Communications if that's what you mean. BTW http://www.tnid.org is a good way to find out which DID provider controls your number now and also shows the original provider if you ported it. Usually the LNP requests are handled through the actual VOIP provider though since they are the ones you pay or contract with.
#56452 by lbmofo
Sun May 23, 2010 11:11 am
This link is really great http://www.tnid.org not only in looking up the current carrier but also the old carrier. It also for all numbers, not just wireless. :)

Your porting request comes to XO, then XO handles the exceptions with ooma (ooma is XO's reseller). I think the alternate name issue is happening at XO (IMO, XO shouldn't be rejecting it without talking to ooma first).
#57129 by Davesworld
Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:29 pm
Update.

CallCentric was unable to get a CSR (Customer Service Record) from Ooma. To recap, my LNP request to port my main number I have had for three years and ported into Ooma last year was rejected by Ooma on the basis that there is a second name on the account. What I suspect may have happened and I am still waiting to hear from Ooma on this, is that when they port numbers for customers, they may do it in batches rather than individually, if this is the case, Ooma's name ends up being listed in addition to yours which makes porting very difficult. I'll PM one of the Ooma folk to see if they can look into it.

Quoted from CallCentric's ticket update today:

"Jun 1, 2010 01:07 PM : Customer service
Hello,

We are writing to let you know we have been unable to obtain a copy of your CSR. Perhaps you can contact Ooma and check into their records (or their carrier's records) for your phone number.

We sincerely apologize for the duration and greatly appreciate your patience. We've been trying as many options as we can think of to get a CSR.

Please let us know if you have any success with Ooma, or if you have any questions or concerns in the meantime. Thank you."
#57145 by lbmofo
Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:00 pm
Why not ask CallCentric to arrange a 3 way conference call with ooma so you can be online to authenticate as the rightful owner of the number? Any issues ooma has, you can dispute/refute right there and then.