Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#56315 by theo1958
Fri May 21, 2010 6:19 pm
Are there any current numbers as to how many OOMA subscribers are out there as of this date? It would be interesting to see how many handsets are registering and up and running. Just curious...

BTW, today I fired VERIZON 100%. Talk about unfriendly customer service. They had my landline shut down with ten minutes after hanging up... Boy, if in your conversation with Verizon and you come across a "Ms. Martin" cancel the service and duck.
#56325 by oldanbo
Fri May 21, 2010 8:31 pm
I can only say that I have ooma and I love it. Albeit I do pay for a premium sub, I am saving mucho dinero over what I paid b4. My break even point was around last July or August, say 4 months.

I will NOT go back to what I had b4 unless ooma ceases to exist and I sure hope that doesn't happen. Last time I looked at the alternative it was a no brainier. Ooma was cheaper and constantly innovating.

Cheers
#56339 by kdmc69
Sat May 22, 2010 5:06 am
oldanbo wrote:I can only say that I have ooma and I love it. Albeit I do pay for a premium sub, I am saving mucho dinero over what I paid b4. My break even point was around last July or August, say 4 months.

Cheers

I second that!! I've been an Ooma user for about 22 months now and have loved every minute of it. Yeah, there's been a few glitches, but all in all the service has been great. I experienced more problems with the other provider. With cost of equipment and 2 years of premier service, I'm averaging about $19 a month for the last 22 months. That's a savings of about 60% a month. I can stand it!!
#56342 by southsound
Sat May 22, 2010 7:06 am
I have DSL so with Qwest it costs me about the same to have it with or without a landline. Since I first signed up for ooma back in February, 2009 I've had more downtime on my Qwest landline than on my ooma system. Qwest doesn't use a battery backup on the RTE (Remote Terminal Equipment) for DSL so when the power goes down so does my Internet - but last fall a squirrel chewed though the fiber that supplies our island with dialtone. DSL was still up so we never missed a beat with our ooma service. I started out with the hub and retired it a month or so ago - now we use our Telo with 2 Telo handsets and a 5-handset Uniden DECT 6.0 system. Would I ever go back? Not a chance!
#56363 by daet
Sat May 22, 2010 1:48 pm
We switched to Ooma from Vonage in April '09. Our monthly bill with Vonage was about $25, so we decided to replace Vonage with T-Mobile's @Home service ($10 per month with a cell phone plan). But T-Mobile shipped us a defective Linksys ATA, and we spent over 3 hours on the phone with their customer service, and then an hour with Cisco/Linksys customer service before everyone agreed the ATA was defective and we'd be shipped us a new one. That evening, we were in BestBuy, noticed the Ooma hub for the first time and bought it. By the next day, we'd canceled our T-Mobile @Home order and started our number port from Vonage. Our number port took just 5 working days - not a single negative experience with the Ooma hardware yet. Our break-even point for the Hub was December '09.

The most difficult aspect of the switch was dealing with incessant phone calls from Vonage's customer service telling us to switch back (for a long time they had Ooma confused with MagicJack!). The funniest call was when they said they would offer me a great price. I enjoyed telling them that unless they planned to pay me each month, nothing was going to beat FREE!
#94278 by lbmofo
Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:24 pm
lbmofo wrote:I love my ooma. So far, I got 9 friends/family to join the ooma family.

Well, total referred is now up to 43.

As for total Ooma subs, as reported by a forum member on 3/22/12 who heard via support's live chat, it is supposed to be 275K.

pca wrote:Mico: But now that we had over 275,000 customers
#94324 by oomg
Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:43 am
lbmofo wrote:Well, total referred is now up to 43.

Great job... they may need to put you on the payroll.

lbmofo wrote:As for total Ooma subs, as reported by a forum member on 3/22/12 who heard via support's live chat, it is supposed to be 275K.

pca wrote:Mico: But now that we had over 275,000 customers

I think the key to Ooma's long success is Premier subscriptions with a substantial percentage choosing one or more of the available add-ons. IMHO Ooma should work on improving the Ooma mobile app so that it can be used to receive calls as well as make calls. This might require that the subscriber add a new number, but that should not be a problem. Also, Ooma app should be free to Premier subscribers (whether as a free download, or as a credit towards a one year subscription to Premier). And given the number of people with smartphones on a family plan, Ooma should allow at least two Ooma apps (with separate numbers if needed) for each Premier subscriber. Keep the cost per month in the range of $5 - $8 per month per Ooma Mobile app user.

My reasoning: Check out the competition. For example, Line2 (part of Toktumi) provides a free app for anyone. They also provide unlimited U.S./Canada calling and unlimited texting over the Line2 number. Subscriber can receive and make calls on the Line2 number. Monthly cost: $8.30 average if paid on yearly basis. See:
http://www.toktumi.com/Line2.aspx

I originally subscribed to a Toktumi toll free number shortly after acquiring my first Ooma system; primarily for the convenience of incoming callers. Since I already had the number, adding the Line2 app (at no additional cost) when I got my iPhone was a no brainer.

Toktumi/Line2 is going to be tough to beat. However, I think Ooma has the ability to match them.