Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#56034 by bpenny
Wed May 19, 2010 10:53 am
I have recently (in the past two days) run into a very odd problem that I would like some suggestions on how to troubleshoot.

My Ooma has been running flawlessly since the day I got it (a few years ago).
I work from home and use the phone everyday.
One of the most frequent calls I make is to my conference call line (which is an 877 number).
Again, using this for years no problems.

A few days ago, I dialed into my conference number and Ooma automatically disconnected me after about 15 seconds of being dialed in.
I tried several times and got the same result.

Note: Nothing changed to my Ooma hardware or home network.

I used my cell phone to dial into my conference line and that worked (which confirmed to me there was no problem with conference line itself).

The next day - same thing on my conference line (and again today); however, I also dialed into a my colleague's con call number (different service than mine and it uses an 866 number). I kept getting disconnected. Again, dialed in using my cell phone and that worked.

I tried calling different help desk numbers to see if Ooma would disconnect me.
I called 800, 888, 877 numbers and did not get disconnected.

I only seem to be disconnected when connecting to these conference lines using Ooma.

How can I go about troubleshooting this? Any suggestions?
#56060 by rgallagher
Wed May 19, 2010 2:26 pm
I also started having disconnect problems with 866 conference calls starting last night (May 18th). I have been doing this for a year with no problem. It can work for hours and then it starts disconnecting every few minutes. Don't have any idea why. I have noticed that it tends to only happen if I am speaking rather than just listening in.
#56076 by murphy
Wed May 19, 2010 4:19 pm
Does the conference call system have a single touchtone to disconnect you from the conference? * or # maybe?
If it does, touchtone talk off could be the problem. Many peoples voices have the ability to be detected as a touchtone. It happens to females more often than males. Ooma will regenerate a full touchtone if it detects a touchtone in your voice.
#56103 by bpenny
Thu May 20, 2010 3:59 am
Thanks Murphy.
In the case my both con call services used, there is no such feature.

Reproduced the issue again today.

It is also worth mentioning that after I login to my call as moderator, I wait approximately 15 seconds and I am disconnected.
I do not touch any buttons or say anything.
#56279 by bbman911
Fri May 21, 2010 10:19 am
I just began experiencing this issue today calling an 877 number...phone went to dialtone after about 20 seconds when I was talking...called back into the call and again got dropped after less than a minute. Finished the call with no problem on my cell phone (so I can rule out the conference line as the problem)

I reset the device, checked my connection speed, no issues. I called a non-877 number and had no issue for a 30 minute call (so I can rule out my phone and the hub). Then just for fun, I dialed back into my conference call line and the dial tone came on 20 seconds after I connected.

Searched the forums and found that many others are having issues with 8xx numbers, typically when there is silence on the other end of the line (which is why it always happened while I was talking...)

I called technical support and created a trouble ticket to which I was told they know about the issue and their engineers are working to resolve, but I couldn't get an ETA on when it would be fixed (best guess they would offer is 24-48 hours) and I don't want to risk getting embarrassed by more dropped calls so I guess I'm on my cell phone for my next few calls until I can test it out on my own to see that it is not still happening.