Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#55994 by liquidice
Wed May 19, 2010 5:20 am
I just picked up an Ooma, I decided now that I'm moving that I don't want to pay for a land line anymore -- and Ooma is a great solution to that.

I want to port my number, but it says on the website I can't cancel my service until after the port has taken place. I'm moving in a week, and the port is supposed to take 3 weeks. Is there a way I can "keep" my service while still disconnecting it from my existing home without messing up the port? I currently have Verizon service.

I was told I might be able to "hold" the phone number for 30 days after my disconnect -- but I'm not sure if this technically counts as keeping my service.

I don't want to call Verizon to ask them because I'm guessing once I mention porting my number they will not be helpful -- hoping someone else here has experienced the same situation.

TIA!
#55996 by Groundhound
Wed May 19, 2010 5:30 am
liquidice wrote:I just picked up an Ooma, I decided now that I'm moving that I don't want to pay for a land line anymore -- and Ooma is a great solution to that.

I want to port my number, but it says on the website I can't cancel my service until after the port has taken place. I'm moving in a week, and the port is supposed to take 3 weeks. Is there a way I can "keep" my service while still disconnecting it from my existing home without messing up the port? I currently have Verizon service.

I was told I might be able to "hold" the phone number for 30 days after my disconnect -- but I'm not sure if this technically counts as keeping my service.

I don't want to call Verizon to ask them because I'm guessing once I mention porting my number they will not be helpful -- hoping someone else here has experienced the same situation.

If someone else is moving into your old residence immediately after you move out, it would be a problem keeping the old service address while waiting for your port to go through. If you are moving to a new address that you could first transfer your Verizon number to and then initiate the port out that may be the only solution.
#56020 by liquidice
Wed May 19, 2010 9:32 am
Ooma Technical Support told me that I can deactivate the physical line at my house (so the new owners can get phone service if they want) but keep the line active on my account and the port will still work. Does this make sense? I'm trying to figure out what to tell Verizon so they don't dump my number and screw up the port.
#56025 by lbmofo
Wed May 19, 2010 10:17 am
Porting in and out of wireless carrier from/to landline will take significantly less time (say within 4 days) so your answer might be to port into a wireless account (maybe a family additional line, or prepaid) and then port out to ooma after your move (within 30 days wireless trial period; most you'll be out is the wireless activation fee). A wireless carrier will be able to tell you how long it will take to port over from Verizon landline.
#56031 by liquidice
Wed May 19, 2010 10:35 am
lbmofo wrote:Porting in and out of wireless carrier from/to landline will take significantly less time (say within 4 days) so your answer might be to port into a wireless account (maybe a family additional line, or prepaid) and then port out to ooma after your move (within 30 days wireless trial period; most you'll be out is the wireless activation fee). A wireless carrier will be able to tell you how long it will take to port over from Verizon landline.

Thats not a bad idea -- I already started the Ooma port process though -- the date isn't too far off, it is June 2nd, 2010 -- so only 2 weeks away, but I move on May 28th. Hoping maybe I can call Verizon and get them to keep my service active while I'm in the process of moving but disconnect my physical line to the house, so the new owner can't call anywhere in the world with my phone number.
#56033 by lbmofo
Wed May 19, 2010 10:51 am
If the port process started already, then I wouldn't mess with it. I'd just make arrangements with new owners/Verizon to ensure your line stays active with Verizon before port completion. Maybe the answer is to have new owner request Verzion service at the address effective 1 day after your port completion date to minimize any mishaps. Or talk them into getting an ooma themselves. :)