Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#55689 by ultradsa
Sun May 16, 2010 7:07 am
I currently do not have a local Ooma phone number but have just obtained a local Google Voice number. I have since set up my Google voice number to forward my calls to my main Ooma number, this is great for a solution to friends and family having a local number to call.

My situation is that since I don't have a local number from Ooma I have to dial a 1-area code for all my outbound calls. If I get a virtual number to set up google voice, will I have to still dial the area code on outbound calls or will I be using my local Google voice number for both inbound and outbound calls (basically just like I have a local number)?

If someone can answer this that would be great and I will setup the google voice on My Ooma but if I am stuck with a local number in and a long distance out, I don't see what the point would be.

Thanks
#55705 by lbmofo
Sun May 16, 2010 1:08 pm
As far as not having to dial 1 when dialing out, you can goto my ooma, preferences, system and enable 10 digit dialing. calling same area code number without the area code takes a bit longer to kick in but I use my ooma with 10 digit dialing enabled.
#55707 by ultradsa
Sun May 16, 2010 1:33 pm
I understand how to eliminate the need to dial a 1 but my goal is 7 digit dialing. Google voice has taken care of half of my problem and now all my local friends and family can call my local Google voice number but the other half of my problem is dialing out as if I have a local number (which I do with my GV number) and therefore I want to call out without the need to dial my area code.

I would assume that I should b able to use my Google voice number for the outbound calls and if not what benefit do you get for setting it up in the My Ooma? I will only do the whole "add another worthless non-local virtual number" to use with Google voice if I can get my 7 digit local outbound dialing.

As it stands this moment I can't recommend Ooma to 90% of my friends and family that would most likely be on-board if it wasn't for the headache and tech skills needed to use this thing as a primary phone. Getting someone a local number should be Ooma's number one primary concern if they want to be beyond incredibly successful.

I will actually be willing to pay for premier service if Ooma would would get me sailing with the wind and not against it. Thank god for my tech-e-ness and ability to semi solve my own problems. Sorry for rant...so close to being a happy word of mouth advertising customer. ;)
#55711 by southsound
Sun May 16, 2010 1:57 pm
ultradsa wrote:I understand how to eliminate the need to dial a 1 but my goal is 7 digit dialing. Google voice has taken care of half of my problem and now all my local friends and family can call my local Google voice number but the other half of my problem is dialing out as if I have a local number (which I do with my GV number) and therefore I want to call out without the need to dial my area code.

I would assume that I should b able to use my Google voice number for the outbound calls and if not what benefit do you get for setting it up in the My Ooma? I will only do the whole "add another worthless non-local virtual number" to use with Google voice if I can get my 7 digit local outbound dialing.

As it stands this moment I can't recommend Ooma to 90% of my friends and family that would most likely be on-board if it wasn't for the headache and tech skills needed to use this thing as a primary phone. Getting someone a local number should be Ooma's number one primary concern if they want to be beyond incredibly successful.

I will actually be willing to pay for premier service if Ooma would would get me sailing with the wind and not against it. Thank god for my tech-e-ness and ability to semi solve my own problems. Sorry for rant...so close to being a happy word of mouth advertising customer. ;)

First off, I love my ooma Telo, loved my (now retired) ooma hub, and have often been called an ooma fan-by or even an ooma apologist. That said, I would not waste the time or money on GVE and a virtual number to accomplish what you want to do. I have been using straight Google Voice since last summer. I have plenty of local numbers available but wanted the extra features like one number to reach my landline, my ooma, and my cell. It makes it easy for people to call us. I also like being able to use GV for free long distance on my landline when I make an outgoing fax call or my wife calls our daughter when I'm on the ooma. I thought I would LOVE GVE. As a beta tester, I discovered there really was not a lot of extra value for me to have it. In fact, I dropped out of the program and now just use GV straight. I'd keep trying to get ooma to give you a local number if you want 7-digit dialing. It may take some time, but it could possibly happen if you are persistent. And I'd continue to use GV as a front end for your system. That way, if ooma does finally get you a local number, you don't have to do anything with your friends - just point GV to the new number.
#55736 by ultradsa
Mon May 17, 2010 4:56 am
Thanks for the reply, that is pretty much exactly what I plan to do. Love the system just not so much love for the technicality's. :P
#55754 by bw1
Mon May 17, 2010 9:43 am
lbmofo wrote:As far as not having to dial 1 when dialing out, you can goto my ooma, preferences, system and enable 10 digit dialing. calling same area code number without the area code takes a bit longer to kick in but I use my ooma with 10 digit dialing enabled.

FYI, you can dial 7 digits and then # to eliminate the delay.