Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#55515 by dvdhtz
Fri May 14, 2010 6:28 am
Does anyone know if it is possible to use an old style-bell ringing phone with Ooma? I've successfully distributed the Ooma dial tone throughout my house wiring and my other "electonic ringing" phone rings fine on incoming calls, but my old style 1960's phone just clicks-no ringing. I suspect the voltage/current capacity/frequency supplied by my Ooma hub is different from what is needed by my old phone. Any ideas?
#55517 by murphy
Fri May 14, 2010 6:32 am
dvdhtz wrote:Does anyone know if it is possible to use an old style-bell ringing phone with Ooma? I've successfully distributed the Ooma dial tone throughout my house wiring and my other "electonic ringing" phone rings fine on incoming calls, but my old style 1960's phone just clicks-no ringing. I suspect the voltage/current capacity/frequency supplied by my Ooma hub is different from what is needed by my old phone. Any ideas?

Ooma supports a maximum of 5 REN total for all phones. A phone that has an actual bell in it is probably not going to work.
#55540 by lbmofo
Fri May 14, 2010 9:41 am
If you haven't disconnected telephone company from your house at the NIB, then, I'd do that first.

Then, check this piece out about 1/3 way into it.
#55555 by theo1958
Fri May 14, 2010 12:13 pm
I have run two old Western Electrics and one ITT from the 1960's and 1970's all had pairs of real brass bells, and some other Japanese phones with a single brass bell off my Telo with no problems. This includes having 3 OOMA handsets running as well. They all ring strong and loud.....