Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#56162 by playsccr
Thu May 20, 2010 11:21 am
so i currently have 7 phones in my house. for two separate telephone numbers. each 7 phones i would like the option to pick up line 1 or line 2. my equipment already has this option. do i need 7 scouts though??
#56164 by murphy
Thu May 20, 2010 11:31 am
playsccr wrote:so i currently have 7 phones in my house. for two separate telephone numbers. each 7 phones i would like the option to pick up line 1 or line 2. my equipment already has this option. do i need 7 scouts though??

No, you need one scout. The hub feeds your existing line 1 and the scout feeds your existing line 2.
#56165 by playsccr
Thu May 20, 2010 11:32 am
murphy wrote:
playsccr wrote:so i currently have 7 phones in my house. for two separate telephone numbers. each 7 phones i would like the option to pick up line 1 or line 2. my equipment already has this option. do i need 7 scouts though??

No, you need one scout. The hub feeds your existing line 1 and the scout feeds your existing line 2.

so i would just have to connect 1 hub and 1 scout and that will give all 7 phones access to 2 separate phone numbers???
#56166 by Groundhound
Thu May 20, 2010 11:44 am
playsccr wrote:so i would just have to connect 1 hub and 1 scout and that will give all 7 phones access to 2 separate phone numbers???

As long as they all are 2-line phones connected to the phone ports on both the Hub and the Scout. Using splitters to accomplish this is fine.
#56169 by murphy
Thu May 20, 2010 12:12 pm
Groundhound wrote:
playsccr wrote:so i would just have to connect 1 hub and 1 scout and that will give all 7 phones access to 2 separate phone numbers???

As long as they all are 2-line phones connected to the phone ports on both the Hub and the Scout. Using splitters to accomplish this is fine.

And the sum of the REN numbers (on the phone's label) for all 7 phones does not exceed 5.
#56177 by southsound
Thu May 20, 2010 12:57 pm
playsccr wrote:no idea what that means sum of the REN

REN stands for Ringer Equivalency Number - it is a measure of how much current the ringers in your phones draw. The ooma device is capable of putting out an REN of 5.0 . Each phone will have an REN number on the label. Cordless phones have it on their base. If you have 7 phones that each have an REN of 1.0, then the total REN is 7.0 - That is too high for the ooma to drive them when they ring and could damage your ooma unit. Many modern phones have an REN of less than 1.0
#69905 by playsccr
Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:37 pm
i am now ready to get the system, need a little additional help.

i currently have the following set up:

2 separate landline numbers
1 dedicated fax number

i will be porting from ATT;

i plan to get a ooma hub and scout, for the 2 separate landlines,

HOWEVER<

I am unsure what to do about the dedicated fax line??

basically i have 3 separate phone numbers....all could be used at the same time, i e someone is talking on on the 2 phone lines and i could be receiving a fax.

thank you.

i am looking for:

1. which products and how many to buy;
2. the physical setup.
#69906 by DTMF
Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:59 pm
playsccr wrote:so if i have my own equipment, multiple wireless headsets. how do i give each one the option to pick up, line 1 or line 2???

do i need a scout with each phone, or will the built in line1/line2 function of my own equipment take care of that???
I'm assuming that there's a single wired base station feeding the "multiple wireless headsets." Does the base station have separate RJ-11 inputs for Line 1 and Line 2 or do both lines go into the same jack on the phone?

If the jacks are separate, you need to run 2 phone cables - one from the Line 1 input to the Hub, the other from the Line 2 input to the Scout.

If the jacks are combined, you need to run the cables from the Hub and Scout into a combiner (http://www.ablecomm.com/twcokitbmaon.html) and plug the combiner into the base station.