Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#55116 by playsccr
Sun May 09, 2010 8:06 pm
i currently have the following set up:

2 separate landline numbers
1 dedicated fax number

i want to move to ooma, however, i am unsure what the setup would look like and whether this is even possible?? and what i need to buy?

thanks in advance
Last edited by playsccr on Thu May 20, 2010 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
#55131 by murphy
Mon May 10, 2010 2:00 am
If you need hard wired access to those 4 phone lines you would need two hubs and two scouts.
To do it with Telo would require four Telos.
A hub or a Telo can handle a maximum of two simultaneous calls.
With a hub you need a scout to do this. With a Telo you need a Telo handset to do it.
More information about how you use the 4 phone lines will get you a better recommendation.
Also, how fast is your broadband internet connection?
#55148 by playsccr
Mon May 10, 2010 8:25 am
thank you for the response:

actually its only 2 dedicated lines that will be used simultaneously and frequently

- the dedicated fax line is used sparingly, but does has its own fax number.

>>> so i actually have 2 dedicated phone numbers, used at the same time often and 1 dedicated fax line.

the broadband speed is so so, dsl. 5mbps.

so what would this set up look like, what would i buy?
#55150 by Hollywood
Mon May 10, 2010 8:37 am
the hub and scout is their older unit, but would give 2 lines all the time. the newer "telo" can have several numbers, but only one at a time (unless you use their cordless handset, and it could have the 2nd number). Fax is not always reliable on a VOIP system, so you might want to get a Hub & Scout combo and get it setup for two lines. Try your fax on one of them before you buy anymore Oomas. If it works ok, get another one, if not keep one of your wired lines for the fax.
#55158 by Hollywood
Mon May 10, 2010 8:59 am
playsccr wrote:sorry i am a little confused:

i have 3 phone numbers:

2 for talking, at the same time
1 for fax

what should i buy?

The Hub and Scout would give you 2 always on voice numbers.
I said I would TEST YOUR FAX with the Ooma at that point before you spend any more money. If your fax works OK on the Ooma, then you can get another Hub or Telo for your fax number. IF your fax doesn't work good with Ooma, then I would keep your wired fax number.

I have the Telo, not the Hub, so I don't know about all of the workings. I do know that the Hub can have 1 number and the Scout another. I'm not positive, but you might be able to use a Hub and two scouts for a total of 3 numbers. Someone else could verify this???

More then one number requires the Premier service or extra charges.
#56155 by playsccr
Thu May 20, 2010 10:51 am
bump:

2 separate telephone numbers for talking
1 separate number for fax

so 3 separate numbers to be ported from ATT
#56156 by playsccr
Thu May 20, 2010 10:53 am
Hollywood wrote:the hub and scout is their older unit, but would give 2 lines all the time. the newer "telo" can have several numbers, but only one at a time (unless you use their cordless handset, and it could have the 2nd number). Fax is not always reliable on a VOIP system, so you might want to get a Hub & Scout combo and get it setup for two lines. Try your fax on one of them before you buy anymore Oomas. If it works ok, get another one, if not keep one of your wired lines for the fax.

so it sounds like if i want 2 phone lines to be used at the same time for talking i should get the older unit, the hub and scout?
#56157 by Hollywood
Thu May 20, 2010 11:11 am
from what I understand, for 2 DEDICATED always on line, yes, the Hub and Scout.

with the newer Telo, you can also have 2 dedicated lines that are always on, but the second one is only available using Ooma cordless handset (not a wired second line for your own equipment).

If you have a good internet bandwidth, you can use several Telos or several Hubs. The Telos are the newer technology.

terms/conditions/fees have changed since the Oomas were first sold. new stuff if usually better, but if you can find older units in stores, you might be able to save on fees as Ooma is honoring the fees on the packaging of the unit you buy.
#56158 by playsccr
Thu May 20, 2010 11:13 am
thank you.

so if i have my own equipment, multiple wireless headsets. how do i give each one the option to pick up, line 1 or line 2???

do i need a scout with each phone, or will the built in line1/line2 function of my own equipment take care of that???