Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#54070 by Masterguy
Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:57 pm
Got the Refurb hub from Fry's 3 weeks back and just came to know from fellow members in this forum that it is subjected to RRF of $3.xx/month

I seriously dont want to be paying $36 a year and own a refurb.

Might as well get a new Telo and pay $11.xx.

However one confusion I have is my account service page states the following:

Base service tier: Ooma Core
Trial status: Trial ends in 37 days

Taxes and fees: No payments due at this time, subject to Terms and Conditions

If there was any monthly RRF should it not reflect in my account by now? I only have about 5 more days to return the product....so if any ooma rep or if any experienced people around here reads this thread, pls respond :)

Edit: my Fry's receipt reads oomacore phone system
The retail box does not specify anything about regulatory fee on the outside(any specific place I need to look for? The retail box just has 'HUB' printed on it

Thanks-
#54073 by feartheturtle
Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:28 pm
So what does the packaging/paperwork from Fry's tell you? That might work for / against you depending on what is in the fine print. Apparently some of the refurbed units are subject to taxes / fees.

If the Ooma system IDs your unit as a "Core" product, then you are not going to pay any taxes/fees (unless they change the tax/fee structure for all Core owners). You might want to verify with CS - but if youy paperwork supports the "no taxes/fees" position you might want to let it ride.
#54092 by fishhawk
Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:07 am
Makes me wonder is some of the Fry's refurb units were originally Costco hubs, while some of them originally were part of a core package, hence the descrepancy. Certainly the refurb hub I got was subject to $3.47/mo in fees.

If your account says no payments are due at this time, then I would just confirm with CS that that is the case.
#54135 by Masterguy
Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:18 am
feartheturtle wrote:So what does the packaging/paperwork from Fry's tell you? That might work for / against you depending on what is in the fine print. Apparently some of the refurbed units are subject to taxes / fees.

If the Ooma system IDs your unit as a "Core" product, then you are not going to pay any taxes/fees (unless they change the tax/fee structure for all Core owners). You might want to verify with CS - but if youy paperwork supports the "no taxes/fees" position you might want to let it ride.

This is what I read from my MY OOMA page:

System Tab:

Name: Ooma Hub
MAC Address: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Service Tab:
Base service tier: Ooma Core
Trial status: Trial ends in 37 days

Taxes and fees: No payments due at this time, subject to Terms and Conditions

My Understanding is ooma identifies my system as hub correctly and it has assigned a ooma core service. When does the tax & fees start appearing? Should it have appeared by now or do I have to wait for a month for it to show up? Also on the other hand I dont want to call ooma service rep and screw myself with tax everymonth (may be I should let it as it is?!)

Thanks to others for your input, its still not clear from other posts wether I will charged monthly RRF or not :?

BTW Whats the ooma service number?
#54154 by Masterguy
Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:43 am
fishhawk wrote:
Masterguy wrote:Taxes and fees: No payments due at this time, subject to Terms and Conditions[/b]

This is exactly what my account with a hub+scout that I activated in Feb says. I think you are fee-free.

CS number is 1-888-711-6662 as described here: http://www.ooma.com/support/contact-us

Thanks I contacted the CS and this is what they came up with:

CS: Can you give me your zip code pls..
self: 95051
CS: you have to pay $3.xx/month regulatory fee
self:I might as well return my equipment and get a new telo instead and pay annual RRF 11.xx.
self: My OOMA page says, no tax or fees due at this time, when will I be notified to pay my RRF? does it appear if due? Its kind of confusing since it doesnt show any taxes or fees in my account, how am I expected to know if I dont login to my ooma on a regular basis?
CS: wait let me check again with my supervisor
wait for 5 mins
CS: yours is core, so dont have to pay any fees what so ever
self: Thanks

Only thing that still baffles me is, my retail box clearly says its a hub, even my ooma system page says its a hub....how does it become a core as far as ooma is concerned? Its kind of funny

Like others mentioned in this thread, is it random? Well, it cannot be and should not be....there should be something standard for users to follow and take decision before they buy refurb OOMA hub.May be OOMA should make it clear
#54156 by lbmofo
Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:58 am
The only way to find out your regulatory recovery fee tier is to search for your device serial# in ooma's database. Unless the CS has done that, I wouldn't count on what the CS told you.

If everyone knew that ooma Core is still avaialble at TigerDirect and can be had for ~$175 net after bing cashback, no one would buy these Fry's refurbs. The TigerDirect Cores also come with 6 months Premier Trial and a $50 prepaid credit. Awesome deal if you ask me.
#54158 by Masterguy
Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:10 am
lbmofo wrote:The only way to find out your regulatory recovery fee tier is to search for your device serial# in ooma's database. Unless the CS has done that, I wouldn't count on what the CS told you.

If everyone knew that ooma Core is still avaialble at TigerDirect and can be had for ~$175 net after bing cashback, no one would buy these Fry's refurbs. The TigerDirect Cores also come with 6 months Premier Trial and a $50 prepaid credit. Awesome deal if you ask me.

Can you please tell me how to do the check in database?

Regarding buying from Tigerdirect, I agree that its much cheaper that way, but only problem is......if there is any problem with the equipment then return becomes difficult. Also I was skeptical about ooma before buying it, just in case I didnt like it its very easy to return in-store.Tigerdirect might charge you restocking fee if the equipment was good and if you are returning just because you didnt like it.

So there is a trade off. Its not straight forward.