Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#53317 by sr521
Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:04 pm
I am considering porting my landline number to Ooma. Ideally what I would like to do is port my number to Google voice, but Google does not currently offer that option though they have been saying for a while that they hope to in the future. My question is if I port my landline number to Ooma now, will I be able to port that number away from Ooma to GV if/when they make that feature available.

I wouldn't care what new number Ooma would assign me in the future when I port my number away from Ooma to GV. I just want to make sure I'm not stuck buying a whole new Ooma hub just to get another Ooma phone number. That would make my purchase of Ooma for a one time fee senseless. Also, I just want to make sure I will in fact be able to port my number away from Ooma in the future.
#53388 by allo
Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:28 pm
sr521 wrote:I am considering porting my landline number to Ooma. Ideally what I would like to do is port my number to Google voice, but Google does not currently offer that option though they have been saying for a while that they hope to in the future. My question is if I port my landline number to Ooma now, will I be able to port that number away from Ooma to GV if/when they make that feature available.

I wouldn't care what new number Ooma would assign me in the future when I port my number away from Ooma to GV. I just want to make sure I'm not stuck buying a whole new Ooma hub just to get another Ooma phone number. That would make my purchase of Ooma for a one time fee senseless. Also, I just want to make sure I will in fact be able to port my number away from Ooma in the future.

The following post explains what is involved in porting a phone number and who owns it

murphy wrote:The procedure has not changed.
The original classic phone company, that originally issued the number, owns it forever.

When you port a number to a VOIP, the original company still owns the number.

If you port from VOIP A to VOIP B, VOIP A returns the number to the owner and then it is ported from the owner to VOIP B.
In this case there is co-ordination between three companies. It is not surprising that it takes so long.
#53390 by lbmofo
Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:06 pm
Yes, ooma number to GV is portable if/when Google makes that feature available.

As for the original carrier owning numbers, this is true even for wireless carriers. Once a ported number deactivates, the number will "snapback" to the original carrier. However, the original carrier is not involved in subsequent ports while ported out number stays active (ooma to GV for example).
#53395 by sr521
Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:43 pm

As for the original carrier owning numbers, this is true even for wireless carriers. Once a ported number deactivates, the number will "snapback" to the original carrier. However, the original carrier is not involved in subsequent ports while ported out number stays active (ooma to GV for example).

I wasn't really asking if it was possible as that hadn't even occurred to me (I was assuming it was technically possible). I was more wondering what Ooma's policy was/will be toward porting a number away from Ooma.

Even if it is true that Ooma will not be involved in subsequent ports so they have no say in the matter, the question still remains as to whether Ooma will just assign me another number without charge/hassle when GV ports the number away from Ooma. It sounds like Ooma has to be somewhat involved in the port as they still have to deactivate my number to allow GV to port it from the original carrier and then Ooma will have to assign me a new number. I assume all this is doable, but will I run into problems/costs trying to get Ooma to do it? Is there any official Ooma policy on any of this?
#53396 by lbmofo
Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:52 pm
Good question. If no one knows and even if tech support doesn't know then I would make sure to obtain a second ooma number for your ooma device before you initiate the port (keep both the new 2nd number and the number you want ported out active while porting) so that your ooma account stays active even when porting is complete (you still have 1 number active for your device). If your ooma account deactivates, you might be on the hook for a reactivation fee.
#53704 by sr521
Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:25 pm
Thanks. That's terrific advice to get a 2nd number. Elsewhere on the forums I saw that when you port a landline number to Ooma, the original Ooma number becomes your 2nd number and the ported landline number becomes your primary Ooma number so I assume that would work in reverse as well when porting out a number.
#53713 by lbmofo
Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:20 pm
sr521 wrote:Thanks. That's terrific advice to get a 2nd number. Elsewhere on the forums I saw that when you port a landline number to Ooma, the original Ooma number becomes your 2nd number and the ported landline number becomes your primary Ooma number so I assume that would work in reverse as well when porting out a number.

That was the idea....to minimize any kind of trouble with your possible port out.
#53739 by Davesworld
Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:23 pm
sr521 wrote:

I wasn't really asking if it was possible as that hadn't even occurred to me (I was assuming it was technically possible). I was more wondering what Ooma's policy was/will be toward porting a number away from Ooma.

Even if it is true that Ooma will not be involved in subsequent ports so they have no say in the matter, the question still remains as to whether Ooma will just assign me another number without charge/hassle when GV ports the number away from Ooma. It sounds like Ooma has to be somewhat involved in the port as they still have to deactivate my number to allow GV to port it from the original carrier and then Ooma will have to assign me a new number. I assume all this is doable, but will I run into problems/costs trying to get Ooma to do it? Is there any official Ooma policy on any of this?

I'm interested in this as well. I'm trying to port my number away from Ooma that I originally ported from Packet 8 to CallCentric and it was denied on the basis that my name is not the name or there is another name registered on the account. This is from CallCentric customer service, not Ooma:

"Apr 23, 2010 12:02 PM : Customer service
Hello,

We have received a rejection for your port request at this time. The rejection states there is another name listed as the authorized user on this Ooma account.

Please update us back in this ticket at your earliest convenience so we may proceed. Should you have any question or concerns in the meantime, please let us know. Thank you."

Now to decide where to go next to figure out what this other name is. I originally got Ooma to send to someone overseas and thought I'd try it first. It worked better than my Packet 8 so I went ahead and ported meanwhile. I'd like to keep that number if at all possible. I really did not expect trouble trying to get my number ported out.
#53741 by murphy
Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:50 pm
The name on a port request must exactly match the name on the account.
Is your name correct on the Account -> Profile screen?
#53742 by lbmofo
Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:51 pm
Davesworld wrote:Now to decide where to go next to figure out what this other name is. I originally got Ooma to send to someone overseas and thought I'd try it first. It worked better than my Packet 8 so I went ahead and ported meanwhile. I'd like to keep that number if at all possible. I really did not expect trouble trying to get my number ported out.

The name is whatever name you have on the ooma account. If you submitted the request with the right name, that means someone made a mistake and you just need to follow up and request your new carrier to resolve the issue; the port request is not complete or dead, it is just in a "resolution required" state.