Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#52910 by penicheiro
Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:02 pm
I must appologize in advance if this question has been posted before.

I have ooma telo system and google voice account, which I set up a while ago separately.

My question at this point is simple, since when I look at the options Google Voice Extensions it wants you to set up a new Google Voice account.

Is it possible to incorporate my existing Google Voice account into the Extensions setup, and if so how?

Thank you
#52912 by murphy
Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:14 pm
penicheiro wrote:I must appologize in advance if this question has been posted before.

I have ooma telo system and google voice account, which I set up a while ago separately.

My question at this point is simple, since when I look at the options Google Voice Extensions it wants you to set up a new Google Voice account.

Is it possible to incorporate my existing Google Voice account into the Extensions setup, and if so how?

Thank you

You can use your existing GV number.
Read this:

https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeba ... extensions
#53000 by EricW
Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:34 am
I called support yesterday to understand the setup based on the knowledge base article and was informed that Google Voice is not supported and won't be 'until a later date'. Is yours working with GV today?
#53001 by murphy
Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:55 am
EricW wrote:I called support yesterday to understand the setup based on the knowledge base article and was informed that Google Voice is not supported and won't be 'until a later date'. Is yours working with GV today?

Yes.
If you go to your my.ooma account and click on Preferences, do you see Google Voice Beta in the left column?
#53005 by EricW
Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:11 am
I do see the GV configuration section. I called support to understand the setup. I am looking to understand the need to configure / add yet a second ooma 'virtual phone number' in addition to my standard. I'm guessing the rest of the setup would be straightforward.

Secondly, I wanted to confirm, if / when I port my existing number, which number would be replaced - the original or virtual number or either. When I began to ask questions, Ooma support stated they left the web site alone but GV was having issues with Ooma and not supported..... That said, I'm willing to give it a try if you found it to work ok....
#53010 by murphy
Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:21 pm
EricW wrote:I do see the GV configuration section. I called support to understand the setup. I am looking to understand the need to configure / add yet a second ooma 'virtual phone number' in addition to my standard. I'm guessing the rest of the setup would be straightforward.

Secondly, I wanted to confirm, if / when I port my existing number, which number would be replaced - the original or virtual number or either. When I began to ask questions, Ooma support stated they left the web site alone but GV was having issues with Ooma and not supported..... That said, I'm willing to give it a try if you found it to work ok....

You need a regular number, which would be your ported number.
You need a second number that is called a virtual number. It is only used for GV to call Ooma. You can't use it as a second phone number. If you have Premier, that includes the second number. If you want to have two real phone numbers then you need a third number to be the virtual number.