Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#52732 by jaysullivan
Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:07 pm
Hi,

I've had Ooma for about 3 months and during that time I have kept my landline. I'm thinking about porting my home Verizon number to Ooma and canceling my Verizon account, but I'd like to know if it would be possible to transfer it back to Verizon in case I'm not happy with Ooma in the long run.

Thanks,
Jay
#52736 by southsound
Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:22 pm
Jay,

Just a reminder - if you port your number, do not cancel your service. ooma will do that when they do the port. If you cancel it yourself, you might end up having a problem getting your number back. Also, I am going to assume that you do not have DSL through Verizon - if you do, you may need to have them "dry loop" the DSL service before you port.
#52737 by lbmofo
Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:23 pm
As of now, the standard time it takes to port from/to landline, VoIP should only be 4 days but realistically weeks. Come August 2010, all of these ports should take at most 2 business days. Wireless to wireless ports only take minutes already (before you walk out the store).

As for the fee, there wouldn't be any fee back to Verizon. With ooma, it is free too with 1 year subscription to premier.
Last edited by lbmofo on Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#52742 by jaysullivan
Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:52 pm
@southsound - Thanks, I'll be sure not to cancel my current service. And I don't have DSL.

@lbmofo - Ha! I know all about "expected" times vs real times. I've had Ooma for over 3 months and they STILL can't fix my outgoing Caller ID so it has my name. This has been extremely frustrating, so I'm just going to drop my Ooma number and transfer my home line. I assume (and maybe this is a mistake) that when I transfer my home line that it will actually keep my name on the outgoing Caller ID.
#52743 by lbmofo
Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:59 pm
jaysullivan wrote:I assume (and maybe this is a mistake) that when I transfer my home line that it will actually keep my name on the outgoing Caller ID.

My understanding is that your callerid info will be registered with what you have in your ooma account profile so I'd make sure your name is accurate there before you port. I ported my number over from Verizon and my callerid is working fine.
#52745 by jaysullivan
Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:10 pm
lbmofo wrote:My understanding is that your callerid info will be registered with what you have in your ooma account profile so I'd make sure your name is accurate there before you port. I ported my number over from Verizon and my callerid is working fine.

My Ooma account profile has been correct since Day One, but my outgoing Caller ID has never been right. It's a long story (search my other posts), but it boils down to the fact that my Ooma number was previously owned by someone else and Ooma has somehow never figured out how to fix it. It's uber-frustrating, but I've given up. I figure if I transfer my landline (which has been under my name for over 7 years), they can't screw that up.