Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#52460 by jmart
Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:11 am
Is anyone familiar with the PhoneGnome? Or, does anyone have any actual experience with this? It would be really nice to be able to make calls when I travel, which is not that often, using my netbook.

I am fairly new to ooma, and not very familiar with SIP. I would like to be able to make a call through my bluetooth headset on my netbook, running Ubuntu, over a wifi connection from a hotel or coffee shop. This happens so infrequently that buying a cell phone with a monthly payment is simply not worth it, and I have no interest in an ipod touch for whenever the ooma app is released. From the sounds of it this will accomplish my goal, but I'd like to get some feedback before dropping $99 on one. Thanks!

http://www.phonegnome.com/ooma.html
#52466 by southsound
Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:01 am
I'm not familiar with PhoneGnome but I am also a minimal cell phone user - just for emergencies or when traveling. I pay $5.50 a month for a phone that uses ATT service and gives me 150 minutes a month with rollover of minutes and a new phone every 4 months. No contracts. Since I have been using my plan (18 months or so) I have 1500 minutes rolled over. If you would like to have details, send me a PM using the envelope under my avatar.

I do not work for ooma and have no financial relationship with any cell phone company or provider. I'm just really thrifty and don't mind sharing how it has worked for me. As it is really off topic, I believe it is better left to an email than to this forum.
#52479 by Groundhound
Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:23 am
jmart wrote:Is anyone familiar with the PhoneGnome? Or, does anyone have any actual experience with this? It would be really nice to be able to make calls when I travel, which is not that often, using my netbook.

I am fairly new to ooma, and not very familiar with SIP. I would like to be able to make a call through my bluetooth headset on my netbook, running Ubuntu, over a wifi connection from a hotel or coffee shop. This happens so infrequently that buying a cell phone with a monthly payment is simply not worth it, and I have no interest in an ipod touch for whenever the ooma app is released. From the sounds of it this will accomplish my goal, but I'd like to get some feedback before dropping $99 on one. Thanks!

http://www.phonegnome.com/ooma.html

According to the description of the device on the page you linked, "It connects between the ooma device and your phone". So if you wanted to use it anywhere you would need both it and your Ooma device with you - I don't see how that offers any advantage for a hotel or coffee shop use scenario.
#52480 by DTMF
Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:28 am
It appears to be a kludgy solution that you set up at home to receive calls over SIP, where it turns around your SIP call and sends it out on your Ooma line. That's a lot of extra layers of Internet for your call to go through, mostly on your home connection.

Remote SIP call -> PhoneGnome device at home -> Ooma device at home -> Ooma network -> PSTN network

Personally, I'd wait for the supported Ooma solution to come out if I wanted to do remote SIP calling. It would eliminate the two weakest links in that chain.

Remote SIP call -> Ooma network -> PSTN network
Last edited by DTMF on Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
#52491 by jmart
Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:17 am
DTMF wrote:It appears to be a kludgy solution that you set up at home to call over SIP, where it turns around your SIP call and send it out on your Ooma line. That's a lot of extra layers of Internet for your call to go through, mostly on your home connection.

Remote SIP call -> PhoneGnome device at home -> Ooma device at home -> Ooma network -> PSTN network

Personally, I'd wait for the supported Ooma solution to come out if I wanted to do remote SIP calling. It would eliminate the two weakest links in that chain.

Remote SIP call -> Ooma network -> PSTN network

Thanks DTMF, that's a good breakdown of how this would work. I've searched this forum and there does not seem to be any dates on when ooma might release a SIP soultion, or if they even will at all. Again, the iphone/itouch app doesn't seem to be a good solution for me personally (just something extra for me to carry around that I won't get much use out of, and it's expensive). I do appreciate southsound's offer for no-contract cell phone info, but I just don't want to carry a phone or have any monthly fees at all. I like my netbook, so maybe I'll download skype but since I don't actually know anyone with skype that means I'd have to pay for every call I make using skype. Again, it would be nice to make a ooma call from a computer over wifi --- does anyone have any experience with this? I found a blog from someone that set it up and seems to be happy with it, but it's pretty old (he's also using a hub and I'm using a telo, but that might not matter).

http://oomarocks.blogspot.com/2007/12/s ... rvice.html

Thanks again!
#59518 by z1g
Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:43 pm
I am using ooma with phonegnome and using the soft-phone.

The soft phone works perfectly well, even use the iSip app for iPhone to make calls using my ooma service from my iPhone over wifi or 3g. Another nice feature of the phonegnome is the internet calling. Since we have VOIP at my work I can essentially setup the Internet calling feature(free) to login to our work PBX as my extension and setup calling rules so whenever I call particular numbers it goes through my work phone system. I have all my client phone numbers setup so that when I call from home it goes through my work PBX and that is what shows on the caller iD. It is a pretty nice device, but their support is non existent and it does have some issues.

One issue I have not been able to get around, is with the phonegnome connected the Voicemail for my Ooma premier never picks up. Phonegnome has basic voicemail for free, but it is worthless. You cannot change outgoing messages and it is supposed to send you an e-mail with a .wav attachment of the message as the only means to get the voice message. After 5 months of testing I have never received any e-mail messages and the voice messages are essentially lost.