Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#51672 by chuckgm3
Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:19 pm
HELP!

I travel abroad several times a year for work. In the past I have used several different VOIP options while traveling in order to stay connected back home at a reasonable rate.

However, now I learn that France has federally mandated all hotels and apartments (including the one I stay in 3 times a year) to implement a user specific log in ID for all internet connections. This means that instead of simply getting an IP address and you're connected. You must first enter your username and password and accept the user agreement, the same way you might at a starbucks.

Is there anyway I can get the ooma to connect through this interface?
#51681 by Bobby B
Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:01 pm
To use Ooma with these authentication proxies, you can try connecting the TO INTERNET port to the hotel connection and then connect your home computer to the HOME NETWORK port. After you boot up your computer, browse to the Internet and try to access their authentication page. After you accept the agreement, the Telo should be able to go into service, provided the hotel has these ports open:

https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeba ... vice-ports

If the hotel doesn't have the above ports open, you'd probably need to rely on some sort of VPN service to workaround the hotel's port restrictions.

Also, we should have a SIP client access (hopefully by the end of Q2) that will allow you to use Ooma with popular SIP clients computers and mobile phones.
#51878 by mthomtech
Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:41 pm
I can confirm that this process does work. On a recent extended international trip, I used Ooma at about 15-20 locations, many of which had authentication logins. With most Ooma worked fine if I did as Bobby indicated.

On one or two occasions I had to re-authenticate for some reason, but most of the time Ooma stayed connected and running fine.