Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#51551 by Groundhound
Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:33 pm
Davesworld wrote:This has me wondering, it might matter which city you live in. This will at least tell you who owns your number: http://www.telcodata.us/telcodata/telco

One of mine is owned by BellSouth (now AT&T) and the other is owned by XO. My BellSouth-owned number is one I've had for a number of years and was ported to Ooma from Comcast. My CNAM name was modified slightly (my choice) when I ported it over to Ooma and that change is reflected in the way it now shows up. My XO-owned number was assigned to me by Ooma and has the CNAM name exactly as I specified when I requested the number.
#51552 by Davesworld
Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:48 pm
Groundhound wrote:
Davesworld wrote:This has me wondering, it might matter which city you live in. This will at least tell you who owns your number: http://www.telcodata.us/telcodata/telco

One of mine is owned by BellSouth (now AT&T) and the other is owned by XO. My BellSouth-owned number is one I've had for a number of years and was ported to Ooma from Comcast. My CNAM name was modified slightly (my choice) when I ported it over to Ooma and that change is reflected in the way it now shows up. My XO-owned number was assigned to me by Ooma and has the CNAM name exactly as I specified when I requested the number.


Well, we have Hotlanta and South Jersey so far.

I take it that your ported number from Comcast originally was from when you had BellSouth service?
#51553 by Groundhound
Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:28 pm
Davesworld wrote:I take it that your ported number from Comcast originally was from when you had BellSouth service?

Yes, except it spent a year at Sunrocket before Comcast, so BellSouth lost me as a phone customer some time ago.
#51556 by bw1
Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:43 pm
My number, that was ported from AT&T, still shows the name registered with AT&T and hasn't been updated to my Ooma account info. My second number shows Private.
#51871 by murphy
Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:06 pm
but2002 wrote:Does Bobby or anyone else have more info on this?

More info on what?

The company that first issues a phone number owns it forever.

Even though my number has been ported to Ooma, it is owned by Verizon.
#51930 by caseybea
Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:03 pm
Sothe question is--- how the heck do I get my called id name to display when I call other people?

TWO MONTHS now. Still not working. Call to customer support went into a black hole.
#52928 by jemarti
Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:15 pm
caseybea wrote:Sothe question is--- how the heck do I get my called id name to display when I call other people?

TWO MONTHS now. Still not working. Call to customer support went into a black hole.


Hope you have better luck with this than I have. I submitted a CNAM change back in December of '09. Four months later, and it's still show the wrong CNAM info 100% of the time, no matter who I call. I've wasted at least 5-6 hours talking to support.

I'm debating on whether to try support again, or just give up and move my number to another service that can actually change the CNAM info.

I wanted to be able to recommend Oooma to people, but this issue and Ooma's failure to resolve it have kept me from making any recommendations.
#52977 by southsound
Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:04 pm
It is relatively inexpensive to just do a name change. I tried for over a year to get ooma to send my name with my caller id - then I found out that for $50 I cound have my name changed to Unavailable. I can't tell you how much better life is now that my caller ID and my name match. Now when I call people they say, "Oh - it's Unavailable. I think I'll take his call." Best $50 I ever spent. Since ooma was not able to make the change after at least 4 tickets (all closed by ooma) overmore than a year, I felt that I had to take charge. :P

Actually, my hub never gave my name after about 13 months. My Telo was spot on within a week. Go figure!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests