Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#51433 by but2002
Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:50 pm
I purchased Ooma about a year ago, and set up name, address, etc. (This was back in the day when the Core box still had free voicemail as a basic service)

I just recently found out that my name STILL does not show up on the caller ID when I call other people. Could I please get this fixed?
#51451 by Davesworld
Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:59 pm
Caller ID only means at least the number itself will show up, the name showing up with caller id is called CNAM. The only number I have that my CNAM shows up on non VOIP lines was one I ported from Packet 8 which uses Level3 as their DID provider whereas Ooma uses XO Communications so my ported Packet 8 number did end up in the National CNAM database. I'm sure it was part of the signup fee to be registered in the CNAM database so my outgoing name would show up.

Very few VOIP providers offer real telco class CNAM service on incoming which is not your issue since it costs a small amount of money per CNAM dip and caching CNAM data is a TOS violation but it would not surprise me if many VOIP providers (ITSPs) actually do this if they use the National CNAM Database at all . I believe it's possible to get your CNAM data registered for a one time small fee so you will show up properly when calling a PSTN number.

To sum up, the Caller ID/CNAM situation is very confusing and inconsistent when you deal with VOIP and few carriers really tell you how their CNAM is set up.
#51453 by but2002
Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:57 pm
I've seen many other Ooma customers here that show the name with Caller ID, and there is an option to SHOW the name with the Caller ID, so I assume there's an issue here.
#51504 by Davesworld
Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:54 pm
but2002 wrote:I've seen many other Ooma customers here that show the name with Caller ID, and there is an option to SHOW the name with the Caller ID, so I assume there's an issue here.


Where do you see anything other than blocking outgoing caller id or using other numbers on that account as the outgoing id? Nothing at all is said of whether CNAM is shown or not.

Don't be fooled by what is shown from people's Ooma calls to other Voip or Ooma recipients. If you want to see what you your caller id shows up as in the real word, try this: http://www.cnam.info/tryit

Most Ooma numbers show as Private. My Cell Phone number shows up as my last name then a comma then my first name. My number I ported to ooma from a different provider, was originally a Level 3 Communications DID number and the CNAM shows up just as I registered it in 2007 which my old provider charged me 10 dollars to do because that's what the one time fee to Verisign normally is. By way of reference Ooma numbers belong to XO Communications. I do not know what XO Comm's policy is on the LIDB/CNAM issue or whether outgoing CNAM is even an option. Of course my cellular service has CID but no CNAM on incoming which is typical of cellular, just on outgoing.
#51537 by Groundhound
Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:20 pm
Davesworld wrote:Don't be fooled by what is shown from people's Ooma calls to other Voip or Ooma recipients. If you want to see what you your caller id shows up as in the real word, try this: http://www.cnam.info/tryit

Most Ooma numbers show as Private.

Both my Ooma numbers show correctly with name.
#51538 by Davesworld
Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:46 pm
Groundhound wrote:
Davesworld wrote:Don't be fooled by what is shown from people's Ooma calls to other Voip or Ooma recipients. If you want to see what you your caller id shows up as in the real word, try this: http://www.cnam.info/tryit

Most Ooma numbers show as Private.

Both my Ooma numbers show correctly with name.


To the above link and to PSTN recipients that subscribe to caller id? Of my four Ooma numbers, only my ported number I've had for three years shows up with the CNAM I chose back then, not the Ooma CNAM they chose based on my last name first initial concatenated together, the other three show up as private. One of them is six months old, the other two are from last November so they aren't ancient. Now, if I call to another Ooma number on a different ATA, the concatenated CNAM shows up. Are you telling me that eventually it gets registered?
#51539 by Groundhound
Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:00 pm
Davesworld wrote:
Groundhound wrote:
Davesworld wrote:Don't be fooled by what is shown from people's Ooma calls to other Voip or Ooma recipients. If you want to see what you your caller id shows up as in the real word, try this: http://www.cnam.info/tryit

Most Ooma numbers show as Private.

Both my Ooma numbers show correctly with name.


To the above link and to PSTN recipients that subscribe to caller id? Of my four Ooma numbers, only my ported number I've had for three years shows up with the CNAM I chose back then, not the Ooma CNAM they chose based on my last name first initial concatenated together, the other three show up as private. One of them is six months old, the other two are from last November so they aren't ancient. Now, if I call to another Ooma number on a different ATA, the concatenated CNAM shows up. Are you telling me that eventually it gets registered?

In my case yes, but I can't speak for "most Ooma numbers" - I would have no way of knowing.
#51544 by jmassimilla
Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:49 pm
Davesworld wrote:This has me wondering, it might matter which city you live in. This will at least tell you who owns your number: http://www.telcodata.us/telcodata/telco

I have 6 Ooma numbers. Every one, using the link you first provided, shows my name. They are owned by XO Communications. I originally had problems with them showing as "Ooma, Inc" on outgoing callerid. I contacted customer service about it and they were all resolved within 48 hours. I was able to verify by calling my landline.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests