Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#50857 by yelnats10
Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:12 pm
ok ok so almost 2hrs on the phone with support doing everything that I did before I called and nothing.
BTW I have the black Telo

First, AC adapter is so loose I pretty much can breathe on it for it to fall out. I now have it pinned next to the wall so that it doesn't fall out while I wait 5 to 7 business days for the new one.

ok I can deal with that.

Then I plug the modem to my router and the router to the ooma Internet. (I took off the firewall)
Next all the light on the ooma start to flash blue on the 1 and then 2 and play and etc.
I proceeded to wait 5 to 10 min as instructed
The ooma symble started to flash and then off it went.
The face of the ooma device was black and no dial tone. So I waited .... and waited ... and waited some more
After almost an hour the face was still black no lights and the back had a blicking orange light where the internet port is.
I called my friend who has an ooma and he said it took him a while for it to update and etc before it worked.
We kept talking and I told him that the face had no lights. He said he believes it should be red.

I then get nervous and so I now hooked the modem directly to the ooma Internet port.
Still nothing with the face of ooma.
I unplugged everything and plugged the modem in first and waited. Then ooma and waited and still nothing but a blicking orange light in the back of the ooma where the Internet port is. No light anywhere else.
Heck I even pluged my router to the Home port to see if I can at least get internet and nothing.

I now call ooma again but this time for the ooma itself.
So team ooma and myself go about doing troubleshooting this.
Don't get me wrong I was nice very patient because I work in the IT field and deal with similar type of things all the time. However it would be nice to feel like someone is not reading off a list of what if this or that.
But either way I played along.

We proceeded to do all the same steps as I mentioned and even something I didn't know. I was happy about that.
To reset ooma you hold down stop and the trash can.
However, all of this did not make my ooma light up red, blue or whatever other color it can turn.
They said if its red that means there is a firewall.
But wait ... its not red .. there are no lights.
So I tell them this and I go on hold.
I go on hold a bunch of times.
More plugging this in and that out and etc.
They check put me on hold and then tell me they can see it so it must be a firewall.

Now its getting time for them to punch out. so they say I should talk to my ISP cause they probably have a firewall.
Thats fine I know some ISP do have their own firewall but I ask them is it normal to have no lights on the face of ooma?
They respond with yes. I then say but wouldn't it be red indicating something is wrong?
They respond oh it blink on and off and when the are issues cause of a firewall and a firewall will make it not blink anything.
I think to myself "Doesn't make sense cause then why have it turn red at all but ok."
So I tell them really? and they respond yes call the ISP and then call us tomorrow
So I said ok I'll call you tomorrow and I'm getting a new ISP tomorrow anyway just wanted to set things up but I'll try again and call tomorrow thank you.

So now I'm in the forums and I see that someone here says to go into your ooma you go to http://setup.ooma.com/
cool I didn't know that and support didn't say anything about that. It didn't work.
So I figured its because of the way the support had me leave the set with the modem to the router and the router to the ooma.
so I connect my computer directly to the ooma and type http://setup.ooma.com/
and nothing happens.

I call my friend told him to do the same and it works for him.

Now I could be wrong but now I'm starting to think my ooma is no good.

I guess I'll try again with my new ISP tomorrow unless other people here can be more helpful than the ooma support. Which I'm sure they will just have me repeat everything I did here. They could at least pass me to someone more knowlegdable but I guess I was too calm ..... guess i won't be porting any numbers over to this thing if they can't even figure out whats wrong or to get this thing to work ..... had such high hopes :(

I really hope I'm wrong about all this

The Very Frustrated New Customer,
:shock:
Last edited by yelnats10 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#50858 by yelnats10
Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:36 pm
Can't stop thinking about some of the stuff they said.

to hook up the ooma to the router cause there might be a firewall on the modem that will stop it from updating or whatever it is they said.

That just doesn't even make sense. Lets say there is a firewall on a modem which there isn't but lets say there is. if you hook up the router to the modem and the ooma to the router ... um um its still behind a firewall ....

Just thinking about I wasted $250 and it could have been worse if I bought all the other stuff..... I hope I can speak to someone that actually knows what they are doing at ooma tomorrow
#50859 by murphy
Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:44 pm
Did any of what they told you to do do involve pressing the middle button in the top row to change the illumination level?
#50860 by yelnats10
Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:48 pm
yep they said to press that gently and then to hold down on it for 2 seconds and etc.

Then to hold the stop and trash can to reset it and still nothing
#50888 by yelnats10
Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:21 am
Ok so while I'm waiting for my new ISP.

I also plugged my computer to the ooma in the HOME port.

I just want to check to see if I can get an IP from it since I believe and seems as though the ooma will act as a gateway.

So the computer is plugged to the HOME port and I go to my command line and type ipconfig /all

I read that the ooma device will have an IP of 172.x.x.x

There was no IP and I have DHCP turned on which now futher makes me believe that the ooma is broken ...
#50925 by yelnats10
Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:48 pm
ok so I now have Verizon Fios 25Mbps down and 25 Mbps up ....

2 of my friends with ooma have Verizon ....

Same thing .... wonder what they would say now
#50962 by tommies
Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:07 am
yelnats10 wrote:Ok so while I'm waiting for my new ISP.

I also plugged my computer to the ooma in the HOME port.

I just want to check to see if I can get an IP from it since I believe and seems as though the ooma will act as a gateway.

So the computer is plugged to the HOME port and I go to my command line and type ipconfig /all

I read that the ooma device will have an IP of 172.x.x.x

There was no IP and I have DHCP turned on which now futher makes me believe that the ooma is broken ...

Please read my post here for a few tip on installation.

You should try these commands as Administrator(on Vista, you need right click and select 'Run as Administrator')
Code: Select allipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

If after all tries, you pc cannot receive an ip from telo, I think the telo is damaged/broken. You should consider an RMA.
#50978 by mthomtech
Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:10 pm
While you're testing, might as well try testing some of the other variables. Knowing your IT background, you've probably done this, but may as well check.

1) Ethernet cables - try various cables to make sure you don't have a bad cable.
2) Power cord - are you sure it is not coming loose in the process? By the way, you should either get Ooma to replace the adapter or you can also trim a little of the black plastic housing on the male end of the plug which should make it fit more securely.
3) Take your Telo to a friend to see if you can get it up and running on their ISP / Modem.

At least you got some good news ... FiOS is great!

It sounds like Customer Support is just going down the list of possibilities and more common issues. If they find that it is your Telo, don't worry, you'll get a replacement and get it working.

By the way, I'm assuming your new FiOS came with a new modem/router, right?
#51004 by yelnats10
Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:49 am
yeah tried it

They are sending a replacement which may take up to 10 business days or something like that ....

Yeah they gave me that stupid modem/router. I told them to make it an Ethernet connection because I'm going to get my own router and put their router on the side for when I have ISP issues. The ONT acts as a modem so it fine like that. Ended up finding out that they match the IP by mac address I believe. So if you do this with Fios you have to call them up so that they can release your IP or I guess you can wait x amount of time before it releases it which I don't know what that x amount of time is. But yeah so far Fios is great minus waiting all day inside for them to come on a nice day Saturday.