Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#50736 by dcad100
Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:34 am
Hello,
I got my Ooma yesterday. I installed it as per the directions. It is directly behind the cable modem and I have a cordless phone plugged into it. It is then plugged to a D-link router. It is not plugged to any wall jacks. It was working great for maybe ten minutes, calls out, received calls, caller ID, etc. After pressing the play button and listening to the Ooma message on the unit half way thru the message all the lights on the unit went black for a few seconds and has not worked since. It does show lights on the 1 and 2 (solid not flashing)and sometimes will show lights on the message buttons after plug in but that's it. I tried to reset to factory setting by holding the Ooma logo while pluggin it in for the 30 secs and it does not do a light show as I've read it should at all. I have reset the cable modem and Ooma and unplugged the D-link to ensure that is not causing the problem. I do know my cable internet speed is very slow at download 1.65mbps and upload 0.28mbps. Could that be my problem or do you think I got a bad Ooma? I would think that the unit should at least try to initialize as it did the first time but the logo in the middle does not show any colors at any time now.

Thanks in advance
#50789 by dcad100
Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:58 pm
After Tech support called me back they determined that I needed to plug my Ooma into the router rather than the modem. The tech support said he believed that the cable modem I have has a fire wall that is not letting the Ooma initialize. There doesn't seem to be a difference in quality but now I think I'm having a problem with the internet speed I'm at. I'm going to start another discussion to find if anyone knows what the minimum speeds that are required from the ISP to run the Ooma without interruption.
#50800 by dcad100
Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:27 am
I did the test and received the following:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your connection’s jitter was measured as 0.5 ms, which indicates that it can produce a constant flow of data. Voice-over-IP conversations should be of good quality.

Your connection’s pack loss was measured as 0.0 %, which indicates that it is accurately transferring data. Voice-over-IP conversations should be of good quality.

Your connection’s MOS score is estimated to be 4.0.

Your download speed of 1.64 is high enough to support a high quality voice-over-IP conversation.

Your upload speed of 282 kbps is high enough to support a high quality voice-over-IP conversation.

Your Quality of Service was measured at 99%, which shows that your connection can produce a constant stream of data. This is key to providing a high quality voice-over-IP connection.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If all these things are ok then why does my Ooma keep shutting down and constantly need to be reset? It will do that even when I'm not on the internet with the computer.
#50808 by dcad100
Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:45 am
It is the new black one. Just got it a couple days ago. I tried to start it up without the cordless phone plugged into it as I've read some people having problems with their phone not being compatible but it still shuts down. After rebooting the modem then router then Ooma it will initialize, stay lit for a minute or two and shut down with 1 and 2 lit up and stay that way. I have to reset everything to get it to initialize again.
#50810 by murphy
Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:01 am
dcad100 wrote:It is the new black one. Just got it a couple days ago. I tried to start it up without the cordless phone plugged into it as I've read some people having problems with their phone not being compatible but it still shuts down. After rebooting the modem then router then Ooma it will initialize, stay lit for a minute or two and shut down with 1 and 2 lit up and stay that way. I have to reset everything to get it to initialize again.

Connect a computer to the Home port of the Telo. If it's a laptop, disable the wireless radio.
Connect to
http://setup.ooma.com
Click on Network in the left column.
Click on the radio button to Use built in MAC address.
Click on Update.
Turn off the modem and the Telo.
Turn on the modem and wait for it to sync up with your ISP.
Turn on the Telo and wait until all lights are solid blue.

Does it work now?
#50814 by dcad100
Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:49 am
It took me almost 11 attempts to try and get that done before the Ooma shut down. I was able to use the built in Mac Address and it is staying on so far. I want to see if it will stay on throughout the day as it has worked for a while before then starts shutting down again. It's funny because I asked the tech support guy if I need to program in the Mac address and he said "no, no you don't need to do that". I will let you know later today if it is still on. Thank you for sticking with me and helping me on this. I will let you know if all systems are go because I'm still a bit skeptical.
#50816 by dcad100
Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:57 am
Update,
It shut down again and when it tried to initialize on it's own, it had the logo flashing in red and the stop button was lit up, sat that way for a while then finished initializing so it is still cutting out.
#50818 by dcad100
Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:32 am
I think the last shutdown can't be counted as I forgot to do something very important and that's reboot everything after setting the Mac address. I did start it all up again and the Ooma was working but then it knocked out my computer internet and I couldn't get back online until I unplugged the Ooma. I'm going to try and put the Ooma back the way I had it originally and that's behind the cable modem then from the Ooma to the router. One thing I noticed is that before, when the Ooma was initialization it only seemed to take about 20 seconds and now it take much longer. I'll let you know what I find.