Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#50215 by Mineral
Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:51 pm
I am an Ooma premier customer. When I signed up, I ported one of my numbers to Ooma. It's my primary number on Ooma.

I now would like to port a second number to Ooma, but want to keep the number I previously ported. I want it to replace the number currently assigned to me as a secondary line.

The online form only seems to permit me to port to the primary line (replacing the number I already ported - which I don't want to do.)

Can anyone give guidance on having Ooma port without replacing my primary number?

Thanks.
#50217 by ntoy
Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:16 pm
Hello,

General rule of thumb from our porting team is that if the primary number is ported on your account
& you port a 2nd number, it will port as a 2nd number when it completes.

Yes, the online form will hopefully be updated someday to include a field for porting a 2nd number.

You can proceed with the number port. If you do process your 2nd number port and give it a few days, you can call
our support folks & have them lookup your porting order to add a comment to say this port is for a 2nd number.
#50299 by bodyinblack
Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:15 pm
Hello, we just signed up today with Ooma and set up our Telo & Telo Handset. We just put in a request to port one of our Vonage lines (Home line) to our primary Ooma number to replace the temp one. Like the original poster we also want to port our second Vonage line to the secondary number we set up for the Telo Handset (Business line).

The response was helpful from Ooma tech support telling us to go ahead and submit the port and it will be generally be ported to the secondary number.

The question we have is: Do we need to wait until the first port fully takes place OR can we request the second port from Vonage (a day later than the first port request) to grab the second number and bring over to Ooma as well? Our fear is that Vonage might make it harder to get that second number once they find out that the first one was ported.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. So far we are LOVING Ooma! It's just day one, but the voice quality is light years better than we had with Vonage.
#50300 by murphy
Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:31 pm
bodyinblack wrote:Hello, we just signed up today with Ooma and set up our Telo & Telo Handset. We just put in a request to port one of our Vonage lines (Home line) to our primary Ooma number to replace the temp one. Like the original poster we also want to port our second Vonage line to the secondary number we set up for the Telo Handset (Business line).

The response was helpful from Ooma tech support telling us to go ahead and submit the port and it will be generally be ported to the secondary number.

The question we have is: Do we need to wait until the first port fully takes place OR can we request the second port from Vonage (a day later than the first port request) to grab the second number and bring over to Ooma as well? Our fear is that Vonage might make it harder to get that second number once they find out that the first one was ported.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. So far we are LOVING Ooma! It's just day one, but the voice quality is light years better than we had with Vonage.

Port the second number on your Vonage account first. If you port the main number, they will close the account and you will lose the second number.
#50303 by bodyinblack
Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:42 pm
Oh no. We already did it in reverse (submitted both ports today but did the home line first then the business line). They are both main numbers on Vonage (not virtual numbers if that matters). The business number was ported to Vonage, but the home number was given to us by Vonage. Does that make any difference? How does Vonage determine a Secondary number on our account. If we ported one number wouldn't our other number stay in tact if we chose to keep that service? Of course we don't want to keep them now that we have Ooma, but just curious how they would suspend our service if both are real number (added lines) and not virtual ones.
#50304 by murphy
Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:45 pm
bodyinblack wrote:Oh no. We already did it in reverse (submitted both ports today but did the home line first then the business line). They are both main numbers on Vonage (not virtual numbers if that matters). The business number was ported to Vonage, but the home number was given to us by Vonage. Does that make any difference? How does Vonage determine a Secondary number on our account. If we ported one number wouldn't our other number stay in tact if we chose to keep that service? Of course we don't want to keep them now that we have Ooma, but just curious how they would suspend our service if both are real number (added lines) and not virtual ones.

Are they both on the same statement or are they separate statements?
If they are on the same statement, the primary number is the number that the account was originally opened with.