Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#50149 by lismith
Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:00 am
For the past 2 mornings my internet has been down and will NOT come back until I remove ooma from the loop. It's very possible that the outages are due to my cable provider (cable modem's ip has been 0.0.0.0) but unplugging power to everything and starting up in the correct order does not work. It's hooked up like this...

Motorola Surfboard cable modem --> ooma hub --> Linksys router running dd-wrt

ooma hub's ip is 172.27.35.1
Linksys router's ip is 172.27.35.2 (set to DMZ in ooma)
Cable modem's ip is 192.168.100.1

With ooma in the loop, I can access the router at 192.168.1.1, ooma at 172.27.35.1, but cannot access the cable modem at 192.168.100.1. If I REMOVE ooma from the loop, I can access the modem at 192.168.100.1 and by restarting the cable modem, then the router, my internet connection comes back. I can only then shut everything down, put ooma back in the loop, and everything is good. I restarted several times (2 days in a row) with ooma in the loop and the cable modem would NOT get a valid ip until I took it out of the loop.

This is weird! Any idea what's going on? And shouldn't I be able to access the modem at 192.168.100.1 through the router and ooma?
#50150 by murphy
Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:14 am
Are you power cycling the cable modem EVERY time that you change what is connected to it?
Have you configured Ooma to use the built in MAC address?
You should be able to access the cable modem's status page with Ooma in the picture.
#50155 by lismith
Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:40 am
murphy wrote:Are you power cycling the cable modem EVERY time that you change what is connected to it? Have you configured Ooma to use the built in MAC address? You should be able to access the cable modem's status page with Ooma in the picture.

Yes: unplugged power to everything, then starting with cable modem, wait until "online" then plug in ooma, wait and wait and wait, never goes online. Eventually power up router anyway. Ooma setup shows network disconnected, modem is unreachable by ip. By switching cables to connect modem to router, the modem's ip is 0.0.0.0. Power-cycle modem again, then router, and I'm online. Disconnect everything, put ooma back in the loop, and I'm online.

Yes, using built-in MAC address.

It's weird, now that internet is back with ooma in the loop, I CAN access the modem at 192.168.100.1. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the cable modem or ooma. They don't seem to be getting along. The cable modem refuses to get an ip until the ooma is out of the loop, which makes NO sense because at that point power to the ooma is unplugged! It makes me wonder if the cable modem IS getting an ip (lights show it 'online' before turning the ooma on) but when connected to the ooma it loses it somehow? I don't know if that's even possible, just trying to figure this out.
#50163 by murphy
Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:19 am
lismith wrote:
MakoCSH wrote:Why not just put Ooma behind the router?

All 4 ethernet ports on the router are in use.

You can buy a switch for less than $20 that will expand the number of ports on your router.
#50166 by MakoCSH
Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:46 am
lismith wrote:I thought it was preferable to put the ooma between the modem and the router. :?:

For QoS purposes it usually is, but most people don't need QoS, or would rather have their router handle it.

Try it, borrow one of the router ports temporarily and see if it connects. Like murphy said you can buy a cheap switch which will give you more ports.