Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#4769 by thively
Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:20 pm
Hello everyone,
I have 2 questions regarding porting.
1) I'm porting from AT&T POTS. When the port is complete the POTS line will no longer work obviously. Does this typically automatically cancel the line? I ask only because I may be interested in having AT&T assign me a new number for the POTS line and keep it at the lowest monthly rate.

I'm trying to figure out I'll be asking them for 'new' phone service to replace what was canceled due to the port vs. whether I'll be asking for a replacement number on my existing service?

2) The outgoing Caller ID on my 'temporary' number for Ooma says "Ooma, Inc.", not my name (as the lounge says it should be.) Is this because it's a temporary number or can I get Ooma to assign my actual name to the outgoing caller ID name?
From what I read it's going to take at least a month, I'd rather it not say "Ooma, Inc." whenever I make a call from Ooma in that time, but I understand if they won't change it.

Thanks a bunch.
#4801 by Falcon
Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:20 pm
Thively:

To item 1) When my port processed with AT&T they automatically closed my account (phone and DSL). I then received an automated phone call from them confirming that a port event occurred and if I had not requested it to contact them. I contacted them several days later to check on the status of my account (wanting it to be closed out) and they confirmed that my account had indeed closed. I suspect your service will be automatically canceled, but you should probably contact them. You definitely do not want to cancel your service until your port officially completes.

To Item 2) Throughout my Month+ wait for my port to complete my temp Ooma number said "Ooma, Inc." to everyone. After my port I think it simply displays my ported number. I'd read here that Caller ID info takes 2-3 weeks to propagate through phone systems. As my port recently completed I am patiently waiting to see if this works out on its own before contacting CS.

Hope this info helps!

Happy Ooma customer, finally looking at no longer receiving phone bills.
#4808 by jmassimilla
Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:11 am
Falcon wrote:Thively:

To Item 2) Throughout my Month+ wait for my port to complete my temp Ooma number said "Ooma, Inc." to everyone. After my port I think it simply displays my ported number. I'd read here that Caller ID info takes 2-3 weeks to propagate through phone systems. As my port recently completed I am patiently waiting to see if this works out on its own before contacting CS.

I called them after 3 weeks about the caller id (before my port completed). The rep said that he would escalate the problem and within 2 days, both my temporary number and my 2nd number were displaying my name. When my port completed @ a week later, my ported number immediately displayed my name.
#4819 by guitarzar
Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:09 am
I signed up for porting my number but the system was asking me to either buy a Premier subscription ($99) or pay an extra $40. I choose the subscription expecting the system to do the right thing and inform me that I already had a subscription and that the port would be free. However I never got any such response and now I fear that I will be billed for another subscription that I do not need. Please let me know if this is the case. I do not wish to pay another $100/yr just to get a number port.

You guys need to fix this so the customer is not confused.
#4820 by hwgang
Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:24 am
guitarzar,

I'm a little confused along with you. ;-) It sounds to me as if you're confusing the 60 day trial of premier that is free with the $99/year purchase of premier that includes a free port. When you pay for the year of premier service you do, in fact, get 12 months *in addition to* the 2 free months, for a total of 14 months for $99 for the first year (or year PLUS).

You could, in theory, test out the premier service for 2 months before porting your number and making the decision whether or not to continue with the premier service.

I knew I wanted premier (and it is required to port 2 numbers to one account which is my situation) so I paid for the one year of service immediately and put the wheels in motion to port both my numbers immediately.

The free porting ONLY comes with the one year of paid premier, not with the free trial. Or are you saying you paid $198 for premier service? (Paid for it twice.)

I'm not sure I've answered your question. But I took a stab at understanding your confusion. Did I get it right?
#4830 by guitarzar
Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:21 pm
Nope! I already bought a 1 year subscription a few months back. The choices are confusing to say the least. ooma needs to make these things clear to customers.

I did NOT choose to do a phone number port back when I first subscribed because I needed to convince my wife that this was a good thing. AT&T keeps getting in the way of having both ooma and AT&T so my efforts to convince my wife are being thwarted by this, so now I want to remove AT&T completely from the picture but in order to do that I have to do a number port now and this is turning into major hassle because ooma is not providing good support for this particular situation. And the phone support person I spoke with was absolutely no help at all.
#4832 by hwgang
Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:44 pm
Hmmm, OK, got it now.

Is this something you were doing online? I haven't walked through that process myself. It didn't exist when I was doing my porting. Truth is, I'm still waiting for one number to port. AND I have Vonage, so I can't address AT & T issues, either. I have ported from Verizon to Lingo to Vonage to ooma, so I'm no stranger to porting, but the rules have changed a bit and I hear lots of AT & T questions regarding porting so perhaps they're fighting it more? Trying to make it difficult even though ultimately, they can't stop it.

What surprises me most is not having an ooma employee be helpful. Of course, they're hiring like crazy to keep up with the growth, so maybe they're on the firing line with less training than is ideal now.

Well, I'm a Big Fat Nothing of help, aren't I? ;-) Sorry about that!

Hang in there. It DOES get better!
#4887 by bmice
Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:46 pm
This should help Yourself, OOMA Support(Freeing up phone time for other issues), and the products longevity.

After you have completed the LOA:

1.) Follow up with the company you are porting your number from.
2.) Put the pressure on them to get the process completed.
3.) Ask them if they have received the paperwork.
4.) If they dont, call them until they have.
5.) When they do, get the case numbers, order numbers, who you spoke with, etc...
6.) They will be able to give you a date of when they can or did release your number.
7.) Once you have that, email ooma support with all of the collected information.
8.) loa@ooma.com

You must take the time to do these steps.
#11594 by guitarzar
Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:16 pm
I never received the LOA!! Just saw that in someone elses post. Hey OOMA can you please send me an LOA so I can get the ball rolling? You guys are not on the ball. It's been like 3 months now. Also, please use the email account I have on my OOMA account (gmail). Because you guy do not know how to setup email checking properly either you never send emails to my real email account or they are getting sent into outer space because I never get them.

Robert
Last edited by guitarzar on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#11595 by southsound
Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:20 pm
guitarzar wrote:I never received the LOA!! Just saw that in someone elses post. Hey OOMA can you please send me an LOA so I can get the ball rolling? You guys are not on the ball. It's been like 2 months or more now.

This forum is a great way to communicate with other users - but not too good for making requests from ooma. Why not pick up the phone and call support at 888 711-6662. They can take your request and send/fax what is needed - or if it is available online, they can point you to it.