Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#3658 by number9
Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:48 pm
dlong wrote:
number9 wrote:

BIG Ouch! I bought in on this from NewEgg this week.

Man this is worrying me bad!

You'll be fine, really. Patience is the key. Sure the hold times are long but once I got through I was given exceptional service. Plus, with people on this forum like wayne, murphy, hwgang, and some others, you'll be fine here.

Barry
Last edited by number9 on Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#3659 by trigler
Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:51 pm
After receipt of an email yesterday telling me that my number was ported, I called Comcast and cancelled my phone service. I was told I had to swap out my voice modem for a regular modem. I knew about that, so no problem. I was also told that they could not remove the work order related to the porting request, and that if they did, I could lose my number, even though Ooma told me it was ported. I went and picked up a new modem today, and swapped it out. Had a blip getting it to work and was on the phone with a comcast service rep for about 40 minutes. She actually finished the work order, which allowed me to then connect with the regular modem.

The first inkling I had that I was indeed ported to Ooma occurred while my modem was not working this morning. I had multi-ring enabled for my cell phone, even though it didn't work before my number was ported. My phone rang, and I received an Ooma voice telling me if I wanted to take the call, to press 1. Yippee, it worked and worked well. That takes care of any worries about power outages -- if you have a cell, that is. Just set it up for multi-ring, and you are always covered.

The service for the past almost seven weeks has been great. I call England quite a lot, and the voice is usually more clear than it was with Comcast. I'm a happy Oomer, now...

Tom
#3661 by trim81
Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:34 pm
trigler wrote:After receipt of an email yesterday telling me that my number was ported, I called Comcast and cancelled my phone service. I was told I had to swap out my voice modem for a regular modem. I knew about that, so no problem. I was also told that they could not remove the work order related to the porting request, and that if they did, I could lose my number, even though Ooma told me it was ported. I went and picked up a new modem today, and swapped it out. Had a blip getting it to work and was on the phone with a comcast service rep for about 40 minutes. She actually finished the work order, which allowed me to then connect with the regular modem.

The first inkling I had that I was indeed ported to Ooma occurred while my modem was not working this morning. I had multi-ring enabled for my cell phone, even though it didn't work before my number was ported. My phone rang, and I received an Ooma voice telling me if I wanted to take the call, to press 1. Yippee, it worked and worked well. That takes care of any worries about power outages -- if you have a cell, that is. Just set it up for multi-ring, and you are always covered.

The service for the past almost seven weeks has been great. I call England quite a lot, and the voice is usually more clear than it was with Comcast. I'm a happy Oomer, now...

Tom

Currently, if the Ooma is not connected to an active internet conection, multi ring will NOT work.

So your power outages/cable modem being down will still affect the ooma service.

Its always a good idea to use a UPS battery backup on the Ooma... but inactive internet line, well theres no solution to that.
#3677 by trigler
Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:13 pm
Today, with no active internet connection, my ooma multi-ring worked... Now I don't know why, but I do know that my modem was not connected to the internet in anyway, and yet it worked.... Go figger... Actually, it was not even plugged in to my Ooma hub.

Tom
#3678 by trim81
Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:15 pm
trigler wrote:Today, with no active internet connection, my ooma multi-ring worked... Now I don't know why, but I do know that my modem was not connected to the internet in anyway, and yet it worked.... Go figger... Actually, it was not even plugged in to my Ooma hub.

Tom

very interesting. how about I try mine right now.. lol

edit: you are right! my mistake

Ooma implemented fail-over ringing... wow cool stuff!

(just tried it)
#3706 by number9
Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:13 pm
Okay, I call customer service. They say my target date for my port to complete is February 16, it's february 28 and my port is not complete. My request was made on Jan.16! Customer service said they are waiting on ooma's partner carrier to finish porting the number.
#3802 by number9
Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:14 am
Why is this taking so long, Bobby B. Mojo, Dennis?
Can some one please explain the porting process and the 'partner carrier's' role?
#3895 by magichael
Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:07 pm
Before even getting an email from Ooma, we discovered our number had ported! Later we received the Ooma email, and it also suggested we call our phone company to make sure they cancel our phone line/bill--and that should happen today. I think it took 29 days for the whole process from installation to completion of porting. Overall we are very pleased with the quality and reliability so far, though we didn't use it as much before the port. A few times we have had odd things happen, like calling and getting a busy signal, or a recording saying all circuits are busy...try again later... or something like that. Anyway, overall very pleased.

Mike
#4061 by blueheelercd
Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:31 pm
trigler wrote:Just got an email telling me my porting request is being completed tomorrow. That's six weeks after my original request, and three weeks after getting an acknowledgement from Ooma. I really think that faxing is better than email. Once I complained here, Mojo helped me and turned it over to the appropriate people, three weeks after my original request, and I got an acknowledgement that they had received the material needed. Three weeks from that date, I get an email saying it will be completed. Yippee!! I can now save money.

Other than that, the system has been working perfectly since I first got it hooked up. Thank you Ooma.

Tom

have you figured out anyway for someone to fax you while you are out, and get messages?
what about a fax with a built in answering machine, just for when you know you will need both?
would that work?
#4062 by blueheelercd
Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:46 pm
being able to get faxes and have an aswering machine are a must for me. so far ooma says it can only be done with 2 lines.
would a fax with a built in answering machine work ?
otherwise keeping vonage is the same as premier and i don't save any money!

hwgang wrote:Don't be worried, dlong. If you stand in line at Disney World to go on some supercoaster, it's not a scam, either. It's just a wicked popular ride. :-D A really great ride. Same here.

If you go to a great restaurant you'll have a wait in a crowd on a Saturday night....you get the picture. ;)

Yup, they have a few growing pains due to their success, but this ooma system really works! I've had AT & T, Verizon, Lingo, Vonage and now ooma and every move was an ungrade with ooma being the pinnacle. Of features. Of service. Of hardware.

I've logged a few miles with them now. When I encountered a highly unusual problem (my issue, not anything that could be repeated) I had an ooma employee give me their personal email. I've had others call to check ON ME and make sure everything was running smoothly.

They are intelligent, caring, knowledgeable staff who REALLY know their stuff and care. They ARE swamped.

Hang in there. Get Premier. Bask in the good life. And go have a drink at the bar while you're waiting. LOL!

Welcome! :)