Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#49828 by voipnoob
Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:30 pm
Got the Ooma wired into the DSC PC1555 home security system RJ31X so I could test my with NextAlarm.com service.

Steps followed:

1. Configured QOS using speedtest.net results. I have Roadrunner with Turbo so there is plenty of bandwidth. The Telo is between the cable modem and the router.
2. Reprogrammed the security system to dial wait2sec+wait2sec+*99+wait2sec+wait2sec+8661234567#
(I tested dialing *998661234567# from a wall phone and it got the correct number)
3. Put the alarm in test mode.
4. Triggered the alarm.

I noted on my handset that line 1 was in use for a brief period of time, but no information showed up at NextAlarm.

I am using ContactID format.

Looks like one possibility is reprogramming the alarm to use a 20bps pulse format but I'd really like to hear from someone who has had success with this model.

I'm also wondering if alarm companies only accept alarm system calls from a phone number that has been registered with them. As of now I haven't ported my home number.

Thanks!
#50053 by qchau
Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:12 am
Watchlight tech support help me program mine panel which is the exact same one as your and it work. The tech told me she had to drop her connection speed on her end if I remember correctly. Plus we added *99 and pause for dialing to the central station. Also changed speed on the panel to 9600 or lower, plus change the zone around but it's been 2+ months now and no issue. Your alarm company should be able to get it working, they just have to take the time to program it on both end correctly.
#51660 by voipnoob
Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:02 am
Update...I did finally get NextAlarm to respond to my OOMA Telo support ticket once I opened it as a request for programming assistance. They replied with the standard VOIP response I've heard about that says "you would need to install an ABN adapter in order for us to receive and monitor your system properly." I am pushing back that I choose not to spend $115 on an adapter when I know that connecting through OOMA has been done successfully. I also asked for instructions for switching from ContactID to 20bps pulse so that I can review them and consider difficulty.

I probably need to retest everything again and make sure the situation hasn't changed in the last month.

If I can't get OOMA and NextAlarm to play together I'm thinking about switching entirely from wired to an affordable cellular system that is supposedly just $89 up front installed and about $17 a month for monitoring. I just don't want to get tied to that provider as it would be harder to rip it out and go back to wired if I didn't like it or they raised the price.
#51692 by voipnoob
Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:43 pm
Bummer, NextAlarm got tough... "due to the fact you have Digital telephone service (OOMA) we require that you utilize our ABN adapter in order for us (NextAlarm.com) to monitor your system. We certainly appreciate your interest in our services however our policy is non-wavering for liability reasons."

Glad I didn't extend my prepaid service during the discount offer earlier this year! :D

If my retest doesn't work as is, I guess I will have to check in with Alarm Relay next. I found another Ooma forum post says "The tech's there know about ooma. They like it and say it work great with their monitoring."
#53149 by voipnoob
Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:15 pm
My NextAlarm retest didn't work quite right, but I'm not positive I had everything set up properly and then the alarm system got locked up in Failure to Communicate mode. To reset the system I had to disconnect its AC wire and then unhook the battery.

Today I bumped into a posting that got me thinking that the Ooma connection tone I had configured (the one played when the callee picks up) might get in the way of communication. I turned that setting off in myOoma and will retest NextAlarm once again, following a script this time. ;)

Alarm Relay indicated they will require me to sign a liability disclaimer. They said they will most likely switch the alarm system from ContactID to 4x2 format. I have no idea how much reprogramming is required for this switch. A posting I saw indicated they are likely to help me set up the system so they can download my settings, update them, and upload them.
#53174 by lbmofo
Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:57 am
voipnoob, not sure if you know about the doityourself forum but that helped me a lot as far as how to re-program my alarm panel with new dial-out string etc.

Your Focus D50 = DSC PC1555 (Power632) may behave differently but with my Safewatch Pro 3000EN, *99 prefix makes dial out fail 100%, no prefix - hit/miss, *70 prefix - improves reliability dramatically. My panel currently uses Contact ID Reporting which is through DTMF. Check out my post.
#55647 by daet
Sat May 15, 2010 1:48 pm
4694610190 wrote:Any one know how to re-program an ADT system with the same dial sequence?

Depends on the ADT system. You should try http://diysecurityforum.com - it was helpful for us.
#56055 by Lilly's_Closet
Wed May 19, 2010 1:06 pm
I had to change 3 settings in my ADT GE Concord 4 alarm to have to dial out successfully to the ADT monitoring center. All the setting are under programming and you will need to have the installer code to make the changes. In addition you have to have the alarm wired correctly to have line interrupt to work.
1. Changed setting in the alarm from (wait for dial tone) to (dial out after waiting a few seconds)
2. Changed the setting in the alarm under (disable call waiting) to use the fax prefix of *99. So basically you have to call OOMA to have them disable call waiting, you can’t just enter a disable code like Ma Bell. So this setting is useless to me except that it allows me to enter the *99. Originally added a pause and *99 at the beginning of the caller center number but that only worked 50 % of the time.
3. Changed the SIA/CID reporting from CID to SIA- I think that this is was really the fixed it but I haven’t tried it with only this setting.
Of Note: Most alarm systems have a built-in line voltage meter on the phone line. This is why you will receive a message on the alarm when you alarm is disconnected from a phone line. However, the absence of this message DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU ALARM CAN CALL HOME, only that the alarm is detecting voltage on the phone line.

To truly test that you alarm can call home you either need to do a phone test from the console or call the alarm company and have them put your alarm in test mode and then set off the alarm. Also you need to do a line interrupt test to make sure it can still dial out after the burglar takes the phone off the hook. Easy enough call the alarm company from your ooma phone and then when the alarm dials out it will have to disconnect you first. Many of the people I have spoken to on this forum who claim to have ADT working were sadly disappointed when then did a phone home test to the central monitoring office. They incorrectly thought that if the alarm is not complaining about not having a phone line then the alarm is working. Good luck and I hope that this helps. It certainly took me long enough to figure it out.