Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#49573 by larrys1
Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:30 am
Question: If you choose to NOT go with Ooma handset, which codless phones out there are giving folks good service? Reason I ask is it looks like there are quite a few issues with Panasonic models, V-Tech models seem to get pretty high ratings (but my wife thinks they feel "cheap" and flimsy). Uniden set we had for years were so good and then we gave them to one of our kids and the new models don't seem to be very good. Anybody have a set that is REALLY good or models we should stay away from?
#49579 by southsound
Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:10 am
I have the Uniden DECT 6.0 1580-5 attached to my landline and another set attached to my Telo. Each system has 5 handsets so we have half of them marked so we can tell them apart for calling. The screens are awesome and easy to read without my glasses. Each handset has a great speakerphone. Handset to handset calling is crystal clear. You can have more than one handset join in a call. Caller ID works great as does the phone book that can either be separate per handset or copied to all handsets. Did I also mention that the calling quality is great? Obviously I like the systems. I paid $75 per set on sale at Staples but I've seen the 5-handset system for as low as $69. Only downside - NO headset jack.

#49607 by Davesworld
Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:42 pm
Pretty much most of them feel cheap and flimsy compared to the old stuff the phone company used to issue, the display models at the store feel too light since they have nothing in them and don't have the battery weight so they feel less cheap at home. I use a Vtech 6321 series because I can upload my address book from my cellphone AND answer cellphone calls with it. I also have the Vtech 6215 series which are very thin and nice looking. I hope future models combine the sleekness of the 6215 and the functionality of the 6321 and please Vtech, tell us the damn codec between the handset and base.

The most solid but pricey seem to be the Siemens Gigaset series. Siemens is also the only manufacturer to tell what codecs can be used with their phone. It's unclear whether most DECT 6.0 sets use the g.726 codec or the g.722. This info is purely for future proofing should it become feasible to use HD Voice.
#49664 by larrys1
Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:48 pm
Thanks southsound. I found a set of three Uniden 1580's at Staples for $59.99after rebate. Hope they are as good as everybody says. I did notice the battery was Ni-Cad and not Ni-Mh. It looks like you can purchase after market Ni-Mh batteries though.
#49873 by Lee
Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:38 am
To expand on what Ave posted, Panasonic also has some other great new dect cordless phones with features like talking caller ID, call block etc. Different phone sets have different features so if you're going to get one check before buying and assuming all phones have the same features.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_1_11?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=dect+phones+cordless&sprefix=dect+phones
#49888 by oomg
Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:10 am
FWIW, I have used mostly Panasonic products for more than 20 years, and generally, have liked them very much. However, when I was looking for something to attach to my ooma system, I stumbled on a set which is sold under the GE name and decided to give in a try: http://www.home-electronics.net/ge/pc/s ... submit.y=9

I have six stations in the system. In addition to having a number of other features, including speaker phone, it has its own internal paging system. Very small and light... individual unit weighs approximately. 2-3 oz. Lithium battery. Total cost at Fry's was about $130 for base (without voicemail) and 5 stations. So far (a little more than one year later), I am very happy with the system.
#49897 by AZGuyJoe
Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:42 pm
I'm with southsound. I have the same Uniden phone system he has and I love it.
One feature I especially like is the ability to send the phone directory to all of the phones that use the base station so each phone has the directory available. I had a Sony before the Uniden that didn't do that.
#50329 by pocono1
Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:36 am
I'll agree with southsound. I have the 1560 at home (single phone). The sound is great, wonderful screen and easy to set-up and use.

I just posted a question before I saw this string. Could I use one of these phones with a Telo handset in order to have two phones or if I use one Telo do I need to only use Telos? I have canceled my landline.