Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#48658 by bingoboyo
Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:16 am
Greetings,

I have had my Telo for about a month. I decided to not port my landline number until I established confidence in ooma. Well, I'm pretty happy with ooma so far and am ready to go to the next step and port my number.

My question is this: If I wind-up not liking ooma after I port, is it a big deal to get my landline restored with my number? Has anyone tried this?

I spent a bunch of time trying to find this topic without success. Appologies in advance if this has already been discussed.

Bing
#48660 by tommies
Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:46 am
I believe it's true. Any telephone number is owned by the baby bell who issued its. Porting it back to them is always easier than porting its away, and hopping from one carrier to the next is more complicated because the number has to return back to the original issuer before it can be port again, I'm told.

All of this is heardsay. maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in here.

When I had ported away from ATT, they sent me a letter that said if I change my mine, they can take me back in minutes, There is a 1-800 number to call, but I threw that away.
#48663 by murphy
Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:02 am
My number was issued by Bell Telephone in 1962.
Bell eventually became Verizon where I live.
I ported to Vonage about 5 years ago.
When I ported to Ooma the records in my Vonage account indicated that they reversed the port to send the number back to Verizon.
Ooma then picked up the number from Verizon.

You do not own your number.
The land line phone company that originally placed it in service owns it.
#48715 by sfhub
Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:14 pm
I don't know about ownership but I have heard people mention that the number portability back-end switching doesn't do multiple levels of redirection so if you port a second time, it goes back to the original and then is ported as if this was your original port. I don't know if this is true or not.
#48725 by murphy
Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:45 pm
sfhub wrote:I don't know about ownership but I have heard people mention that the number portability back-end switching doesn't do multiple levels of redirection so if you port a second time, it goes back to the original and then is ported as if this was your original port. I don't know if this is true or not.

It's true. See my previous post.