Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#47943 by jaysullivan
Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:44 pm
This is pretty hard to believe, but when I signed up for Ooma 6 weeks ago and picked out a new number, they gave me a number that was assigned to another active account! That's pretty scary to think that Ooma might snatch your number away from you and let it go to a new user. But what's even worse is that it took 6 weeks of me calling tech support for them to figure this out.

Here's the (long) back-story - I purchased and installed my Ooma hub about 6 weeks ago. I didn't want to transfer my home number, so I picked one of the numbers that Ooma offered me. Everything has been working fine since then, except my Caller ID was coming up as someone else's name when I made calls.

I called tech support about 3 weeks ago and they looked into it, apologized for the mistake and promised that it would be fixed within 48 hours. A few weeks later I called back since the Caller ID was still wrong, and again they apologized and said it would be fixed within 48 hours and someone would get back to me. Well, it still hasn't been fixed and nobody has contacted me.

So I called back for a third time and asked to speak with a supervisor. This time he looked into it and found that the phone number that I have is really someone else's ACTIVE phone number! This other guy transferred his land line to Ooma and still had an active Ooma account, but Ooma somehow put it in the pool of numbers and let me pick it when I signed up. Pretty scary!

Anyway, I love the phone number (it's very easy to remember), and I've already given it to all of my friends and contacts, so I REALLY didn't want to change it. Other than the name on Caller ID, it's been working perfectly for 6 weeks. And I haven't received a single call for this other guy, so I assume he hasn't been using it and he hasn't complained to Ooma that it wasn't working.

The Ooma supervisor that I spoke with said my only option was to change my number. I was REALLY unhappy with that solution, and suggested they check with the other guy to see if he was still using his number. We got off the phone and they called back a while later and said that they couldn't get in touch with him and that I'd have to change my number.

Begrudgingly, I agreed to consider changing the number. But I felt that this was really Ooma's problem since they let me pick out a number that was being used by someone else. To be fair, I felt that they should compensate me for my trouble. I was going to need to contact everyone I know to give them yet another new number, and also give up a number that I loved. So are you ready for the big thing that they offered me as compensation? A mighty TEN dollars in credit for international calls! Wow, you could have knocked me over with a feather! Are you kidding? I don't even make any international calls! I suggested something better like maybe 6 months of free premium service. They came back and said they'd give me ONE WEEK free. Unbelievable! I have brought to their attention something that could be a big problem and this is all they can offer?

So I decided to take matters into my own hands. I Googled the guy's name who was coming up on my caller ID and managed to find a different number for him. I called him from my Ooma phone and figured he'd be puzzled because his own name would showing up as the caller. Thankfully he picked up and he was really nice. It turns out that he purchased a number of Ooma units a while back and transferred one of his Verizon numbers (my current number) to Ooma to use as a fax line. But he had trouble getting things to work, so he decided to give up on Ooma. He didn't need (my) number back, and in fact it was due to expire on Verizon today anyway. So he said he'd be fine if I kept the number.

I got back in touch with Ooma and they were very thankful that I had done the leg-work that they should have done. I gave them the other guy's number so they could confirm everything. Hopefully now they will finally be able to fix the Caller ID. What a mess!
#47948 by amoney
Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:20 pm
Unfortuanelty it happens.

Bellsouth gave us a landline number that was a bad account for non payment, it is flagged to not be available for obvious reasons, additionally if a person cant pay their phone bill they are also delinquent on other bills, so after 6mo, we started to get a flood of calls for this deadbeat guy. Including ATT followingup on long distance charges, it was a mess. Bellsouth profusly apologised for the inconvience, we still get collectors calling once and awhile, after 5 years it has settled down to rare but int he end, no compensation, they did offer to change the number for free, but at that point it would have been more of a hassel.

Human error.

No excuess, but your not alone. I have seen this issue posted before.
#48199 by jaysullivan
Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:59 pm
Update - Ooma got in touch with the other guy and got confirmation that he no longer needs the number. They claim that my Caller ID should be working in about a week. We'll see, but I still think they should have thrown me a bone and given me a few free months of Premium for my trouble. They could learn a thing or two from DirecTV about keeping your customers happy.
#48409 by ydnar723
Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:35 pm
People do mistakes, over the course of my telecommunications career I saw it happen with not only the company I worked for but with other carriers too for one reason or another. We reduced our error rate from hardly happens to practically never happens by requiring all numbers be tested before they were posted as an avalible number pool.
A mistake no phone company wants to make, it becomes a nightmare for them.
#48485 by tomtom
Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:54 am
I had a similar experience: Amazon sold me an Ooma Telo that had been previously activated (basically an "open box" product that they passed off as new. It took four separate calls to Ooma customer service including a couple of rounds with supervisors to resolve it. Amazon knocked 20% off the price to compensate, but all the while the Ooma people were telling me there was nothing they could do and I should just return the unit to Amazon. Finally they agreed to reset the unit and then all was well. But why so much effort required?
#48512 by ydnar723
Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:00 am
tomtom wrote:I had a similar experience: Amazon sold me an Ooma Telo that had been previously activated (basically an "open box" product that they passed off as new. It took four separate calls to Ooma customer service including a couple of rounds with supervisors to resolve it. Amazon knocked 20% off the price to compensate, but all the while the Ooma people were telling me there was nothing they could do and I should just return the unit to Amazon. Finally they agreed to reset the unit and then all was well. But why so much effort required?

That is probably due to the previous owner not telling Ooma their wishes to no longer use the service, someone registers it, then packs it up for a return, but never gets verified and is assumed it was new, depending on the reason for return too.

From an Ooma view they want to ensure you are not someone who took someone elses box (because their systeme shows otherwise still thanks to previous owner not notifying them)
#50426 by jaysullivan
Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:03 pm
Update on my original post: Here we are almost a month later (and over two months after I first installed Ooma) and I still have the wrong caller ID. Ooma contacted the person who originally owned this number last month and confirmed that his account should have been closed, yet here I am with his name still on my caller ID.

I called tech support again today, but since it's a Sunday they couldn't do much. Once again I got a promise that it will be fixed tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath. In the meantime, my free Premier account has expired. I haven't been using Ooma that much over the last two months because of the Caller ID problem, so I really think that they should extend my trial if and when they ever fix the Caller ID problem. VERY FRUSTRATING!!!