Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#47739 by nyarrgh
Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:11 am
For lots of reasons, I cannot put ooma Hub before my router(s). However, I would still want to use the extra port on the ooma hub. Is there a way to disable the DHCP server on the Ooma hub so that the devices behind it will still be on the same network segment as the rest of my LAN? (meaning I want ooma to work as a hub/switch and not a router). I don't see anything on the setup.ooma.com site to disable DHCP.
#47749 by murphy
Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:20 am
nyarrgh wrote:For lots of reasons, I cannot put ooma Hub before my router(s). However, I would still want to use the extra port on the ooma hub. Is there a way to disable the DHCP server on the Ooma hub so that the devices behind it will still be on the same network segment as the rest of my LAN? (meaning I want ooma to work as a hub/switch and not a router). I don't see anything on the setup.ooma.com site to disable DHCP.

It is not possible to disable the DHCP server in the Ooma. Get an inexpensive switch to expand the number of ports on your router and leave the Home port of the Ooma empty.
#47757 by amoney
Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:13 am
Agreed, the Ooma is a seperate LAN, perhaps you can do static port forwarding rules but it would be a ugly solution at best, just as murphy said, just get a switch to expand your router.
#47798 by mthomtech
Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:31 am
I'll throw my agreement in here too. I have a similar setup where I have A LOT networked in the home that works on a home control system. It wasn't effective for me to have anything downstream hooked up to Ooma, so I kept Ooma on a separate port from everything else. Switches work wonders :)
#47844 by sfhub
Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:06 pm
murphy wrote:
nyarrgh wrote:For lots of reasons, I cannot put ooma Hub before my router(s). However, I would still want to use the extra port on the ooma hub. Is there a way to disable the DHCP server on the Ooma hub so that the devices behind it will still be on the same network segment as the rest of my LAN? (meaning I want ooma to work as a hub/switch and not a router). I don't see anything on the setup.ooma.com site to disable DHCP.

It is not possible to disable the DHCP server in the Ooma. Get an inexpensive switch to expand the number of ports on your router and leave the Home port of the Ooma empty.

According to this post you can get the DHCP server disabled on the Telo (and probably hub). I suspect the DHCP server probably dies on startup with incorrect parameters.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6253&p=44462#p44620

However as folks have mentioned or implied, the issue is that there will be NAT performed across Modem and Home ports on the Ooma hub. That means the two ports will be on different segments of your network as broadcast packets won't go across. You can get a switch or hub pretty cheap these days.
#48135 by alancommike
Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:25 am
Agreeing with what everyone else has said, don't try to use the Telo as a switch. I consider the two RJ45 (i.e. ethernet) jacks on the Telo as WAN and LAN. The LAN side is the one that has the DHCP server running. The easiest solution for anyone with a complex internal network is to leave it disconnected.

In my setup, the WAN side gets it's IP address via DHCP from my home DHCP server based on it's MAC. I distribute IP's for all my home devices based on their MAC. The IP i give it is on my regular LAN segment, behind a firewall and router.

The internal Telo web server runs on the dedicated LAN segment with IP 172.27.35.1. This is the default address range that the built in DHCP server wants to server machines hanging off of the LAN port. If you only use the WAN port, you can't access the internal web server. You can setup a port forward in the advanced setting of the Telo to forward port 80 on the WAN side to 172.27.35.1 on the LAN side to gain access to the internal web server. You'll have to temporarily connect to the LAN side with a machine that will DHCP an address from it in order to add the forward rule.

...alan
#56327 by surfpup
Fri May 21, 2010 8:44 pm
There can be a legitimate reason to disable the DHCP server and "blend" networks. I am running the following config:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |----------Ooma Telo
Internet --->Modem -->Switch --|
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |---------Main Firewall ---> Network

Both my Ooma and my main firewall have static PUBLIC Ip's. My Network is behind my main firewall, but I do not feel like exposing the Ooma's config page to the outside world. I also find it a royal pain to go down to my network closet and plug in to the Ooma home port every time I want to check the setup pages. So, I disabled DHCP as noted by JR Helgeson and gave my Ooma Home a static IP on my internal network. I am not routing network traffic through my Ooma, so QOS is not an issue. The only internal traffic directed to my Ooma is when I want to access the setup page. DHCP appears to be dead (I do not see any broadcasts when I look at the traffic), I can access the setup page internally without exposing it to the world, and my Ooma is running without any firewall or QOS problems.

I'm happy. errrmmm. Spoke too soon

It appears that the DHCP server will still occasionally attempt to serve up a xxx.xxx.xxx.0 address. So I am not convinced that I have effectively turned off DHCP. Not a big problem for me, but still....